PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing scope rings for FCP-SR

Messiah Jones
07-18-2016, 03:38 AM
I just got my first nice Savage in a trade. It's a FCP-SR 20" in .308win. This model has the picatinny scope rail. I've read some are 0 moa and some are 20 moa. I don't know which one I have or what it really even means. I want to mount a Nikon Monarch (best scope I have right now) on it and would like it to ride as low as possible. It also has the large bolt handle.

Thanks for any help. This is my first post here and I'm hoping this rifle will replace my Rem700 SPS Tactical .308win. Maybe you guys can help me with that decision too, although I think I know the outcome on a Savage forum. :)

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/156940/913010141/wm_7166614.jpg

witcohe
07-18-2016, 10:58 AM
I use a set of low height Vortex tactical 30mm rings on my FCP-SR .308 and they have been working fine so far - no issues with clearance. They aren't the lightest rings out there if you are worried about weight.

Update: Sorry should have also included that I am using a Viper 6.5-20x50 PA scope with those rings.

darkker
07-18-2016, 01:33 PM
I just got my first nice Savage in a trade. It's a FCP-SR 20" in .308win. This model has the picatinny scope rail. I've read some are 0 moa and some are 20 moa. I don't know which one I have or what it really even means.

So a 20 MOA base, means that the rail is "Canted" lower in the front, than in the rear. This gives you more potential elevation to adjust "up" for shooting long distance. That scope is a SFP and doesn't have a ton of adjustment anyway. If you run it at max power then the reticle would match the adjustments, but that doesn't help you with other magnifications on the fly.
The Base shouldn't matter until you get to the 1,000 + yard distance.

Messiah Jones
07-18-2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks guys. I think my max is probably 600 yards. Not that I can shoot that well, just that's how far I can see on the farm.

I saw a guy on YouTube claim that because the Savage rail is a split Picatinny you can't use Larue mounts without excessive wear. He recommended replacing it with a true Picatinny rail. I don't know if I'll be using a Larue mount but have you guys dealt with any rings that don't agree with that divided rail?

Here's the video. He talks about it at 4:50... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s0DJJdp1qa0

J.Baker
07-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Well if you got the above pictured model with the picatinney rail the above video's info is kind of pointless as you don't have the two-piece Weaver-style mounts that he's referring to that come standard on most of the non-tactical Savage package rifles.

As for a Larue mount, you won't want to use one anyway as it will put the scope too high. They do have their QD rings (#LT123, LT719, and LT808), but whether one of them will be of proper height will depend on the scope you select. Unless you've just got money to burn I'd steer you away from the Larue mounts and just recommend a good traditional set of rings (i.e Burris Signature Zee rings for $40-50). Use the $150+ you'll save to go buy more ammo.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Bimmer
07-22-2016, 11:20 AM
I'd steer you away from the Larue mounts and just recommend a good traditional set of rings...

I agree... I'm a fan of Warne rings. They're cheap and sturdy and I've never had a problem with them.

I also have a Nikon Monarch mounted... I'd have to check, but I think I have "low" rings, so that there's only 0.25" between the bottom of the scope tube and the top of the rail.

Messiah Jones
07-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys. I've never scoped a bolt rifle before. The Rem 700 I have came with the Nikon mounted on it already. I only mentioned Larue because that's what I'm used to using on my ARs. I'd like to mount this Monarch as low as possible and don't need quick detach rings.

DenverDave
07-26-2016, 03:15 AM
I have a 10T, similar rifle in a lot of ways. I believe the action w/factory pic rail is the same, as is the profile of the barrel. I run seekins low rings. Very nice, about a a quarter inch of clearance with a 34mm tube and 50 objective. The factory base is aluminum, I have read that if your using an aluminum base you should pair it with aluminum rings. Had this not been the case I would have gone with the LaRue extra low rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Messiah Jones
08-06-2016, 11:47 PM
The scope has a 1" tube and 55mm bell with the lense cap on. Any advice?

DenverDave
08-13-2016, 03:50 AM
When I was looking for rings someone linked me to a ring height calculator/diagram/chart which would be useful for you... I looked but can't seem to find it. Perhaps someone here knows what I am talking about?

DenverDave
08-13-2016, 03:51 AM
Here we go: http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

greyghost
08-13-2016, 07:18 PM
I use the vortex 6.5x20x50 and Burris rings, You bought a very nice shooting rifle, Enjoy it, Its a keeper