PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 93R17 Spews Ammo out of magazine 17HMR

Emerson Biggies
07-17-2016, 12:11 AM
I am a new member here. I saw the old message about others having the same difficulty, but I still have questions.
My rifle came with one magazine. I bought a spare one on Ebay and it is an IDENTICAL magazine to the one that came with the rifle. BOTH magazines agonizingly spew all the ammo out the ejection port if they are at all seated with any speed. Seating the magazines under a closed bolt will also disgorge all the ammo likewise as soon as the bolt is opened. I have to slowly seat the mag. with a finger in the ejection port stabilizing the top round before the gun can be fired normally.
I find it difficult to believe that Savage would make both mags with loose lips, however, I am prepared to be educated by this forum if anyone can help me.
Bending magazine lips can be expensive as they don't give these things away. Can someone pick up a caliper and give me a measurement between the lips that I can shoot for?(no pun intended) These lips look awfully hard to get at even with long nose pliers.

Loose lips sink ships, but they also toss ammo around!

LoneWolf
07-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Never found a perfect science for adjusting mag lips. I just play with them making small adjustments and testing it over and over until I'm satisfied with the operation.

Emerson Biggies
07-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Thanks, LoneWolf, I took my long noses and bent them ever so slightly and that seemed to fix it. I can now slam home the mag and not shower the next station with ammo. Took care of the spare mag. also.