PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle brakes

AntarcticChamp
07-16-2016, 10:47 AM
I've been thinking about buying a 375 Ruger. Either a Ruger guide gun or a left handed bear hunter from the Savage custom shop. The big selling point on both rifles is the brake. As I'm sure you know the ports on the Savage twist closed. The ruger comes with a matching weight to replace the brake.
Of course if I could find a brake with similar characteristics I might just build my own. Any leads? My Google-fu is weak.

yorketransport
07-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Where do you live? If you have a chance to try shooting a 375 Ruger without the brake, do it. I've had a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 for probably 8 years and recoil isn't as bad as you'd think. It's a pretty solid push but no worse than a 300 Win Mag with 180gr bullets. I have over 1000 rounds through mine and I've never felt like it needed a brake on there.

I appreciate muzzle brakes and have several of them but I hate to use them on hunting guns. Not just because of the noise but because here in WA I end up with stuff getting caught in the ports!

Andrew

AntarcticChamp
07-16-2016, 10:59 PM
I live in South King county WA actually. Small world

AntarcticChamp
07-16-2016, 11:01 PM
And I kind of agree. Looking for a muzzle brake system that canbe turned off or removed with no or minimal poi shift