PDA

View Full Version : inside neck lube

chetc
07-14-2016, 06:27 AM
i am curious what most loaders are using for a inside neck lube when full sizing, i use the imperial sizing wax on a q tip but seems like the powder sticks to the neck on some brass, are there any other lubes to try to eliminate the powder sticking to the inside of the neck

Chet

rbp75503
07-14-2016, 07:35 AM
Imperial dry neck lube powder. It has some pros and cons. No more powder clinging to lube. Small amounts of graphite powder has a tendency to get on other items. Most of the time I use water cleanup lube and full size with titanum bushing neck sizing die.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319390/imperial-dry-neck-lube-1-oz-powder

Fotheringill
07-14-2016, 10:43 AM
When I need to lubricate the inside of the neck, I use the Imperial dry neck lube. Before seating, I use a brush to get out whatever might have fallen inside the case. It works for me.

yobuck
07-14-2016, 11:30 AM
I use the Imperial wax on my thumb and a few fingers of my off side hand. Just enough on the neck and shoulder area to keep things working smooth.
I occaisionaly scrape some from a finger across the case mouth also but not every case. The die tells me when it needs more lube.
I don't bother to clean the inside neck before adding the powder and bullet.

schnyd112
07-14-2016, 12:16 PM
+1 for the dry neck lube. It is a little messy but it works. I need to clean my expander ball every 25 rounds or so, but I need to do that anyway after tumbling with dry media.

BillPa
07-14-2016, 12:23 PM
I don't advise lubing the inside of the necks, it masks the effects of work hardened brass.
If you almost rip the press off the bench when pulling an expander back through, split necks, see variations in shoulder bump and seating depths its time to anneal your brass. Annealed brass will size as easily and as consistently as when it was new or at times even better than when it was new.

A real simple (crude?) way to tell? Use a pliers to slightly force the neck out of round. If it springs back its a good bet it needs annealed.

Bill

upSLIDEdown
07-14-2016, 01:25 PM
I don't advise lubing the inside of the necks, it masks the effects of work hardened brass.
If you almost rip the press off the bench when pulling an expander back through, split necks, see variations in shoulder bump and seating depths its time to anneal your brass. Annealed brass will size as easily and as consistently as when it was new or at times even better than when it was new.

A real simple (crude?) way to tell? Use a pliers to slightly force the neck out of round. If it springs back its a good bet it needs annealed.

Bill

This. I anneal every firing now. I've gotten to where I do everything the exact same, every time. It keeps my ammo much more consistent than it's ever been. Zero is always the same, and long range data is always dead on. The short time it takes to anneal is well worth it for the consistency in ammo, not to mention brass life.

m12lrs
07-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Here is what I use

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/301357/forster-original-case-neck-lubricator?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-reloading+-+metallic+reloading+equipment+(not+presses)-_-forster-_-301357&gclid=CjwKEAjw8Jy8BRCE0pOC9qzRhkMSJABC1pvJKGwlBJRC ZYfHB3Ni8_1dJg4zdjqytEBkqNAWkPiM1hoC6a_w_wcB

bigedp51
07-14-2016, 03:59 PM
I use powdered graphite "Imperial Dry Neck Lube", I wet tumble my cases and this strips the carbon from inside the case necks. Powdered graphite is nothing more than finely ground carbon, so this coats the inside of the case neck with carbon again.

Powders have graphite coating to facilitate handling and loading so the powdered graphite in the case neck is not contaminating the powder.

Robinhood
07-14-2016, 04:43 PM
I use the Imperial wax on my thumb and a few fingers of my off side hand. Just enough on the neck and shoulder area to keep things working smooth.
I occaisionaly scrape some from a finger across the case mouth also but not every case. The die tells me when it needs more lube.

This right here.

Texas Solo
07-14-2016, 06:56 PM
I use a pump spray. I first tumble my used brass clean, then assemble them in a loading block and spray all 50 of them. The pump spray gets into the neck, I've never had an issue with it. After sizing, I tumble again to remove the lube. This works very well for .223 cases, but I found the pump spray to be insufficient for .308.

thatguyshm
07-18-2016, 05:12 PM

Same thing I, except after sizing I wet tumble, and never have an issue with out of round necks from that.