PDA

View Full Version : Review of SSS truing and timing / trigger job

Pages : 1 2 [3]

bodywerks
07-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Apparently some folks need to be reminded that any attempt to buy/sell/trade outside the classifieds isn't permitted.

Oops. Sorry bout it.

dlsculley
08-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Take the time to adjust the trigger on the CM. Sometimes a change in trigger weight will throw a person off. Had that happen with my son, new rifle (Browning Gold Medallion in 300 WM) had a heavy trigger and he shot patterns instead of groups. Got a good trigger job, nice a crisp break at 1 1/2 lbs and the difference was amazing. After the trigger job he could shoot 3 touching at 100 yds.

As was said earlier, apply heat to the action screws then use a screwdriver that really fits the heads well (are they torx by chance, that would be good). Just don't get in a hurry and try to force them too soon. I would consider running a tap through the receiver threads to clean off as much locktite as possible.

Accuracy could have also been affected by how the smith tightened the action screws. It is good that he torqued them, but the order they are tightened can have an effect too. You really don't need a smith to do this for you. A torque wrench is good but not necessary if you have a feel for how tight they should be. You could get the Wheeler FAT Wrench. When you tighten the action screws, watch/feel how the action is affected as you tighten the screws. If the bedding is mated to the action, they will come to a hard stop with no mushiness as you tighten.

FWIW,

Dennis

Txhillbilly
08-11-2016, 06:50 PM
You guy's are killing me with the Loctite issue!
Take a hair dryer or heat gun,and heat the bolt head up for a few seconds. It will break the bond of the Loctite,and the action screws will come right out. Then take some Acetone,and clean off the threads of the screws,and put them back in after you adjust the trigger.

Some of you guy's must not be very mechanically inclined,Loctite isn't that hard to break loose!

doctnj
08-11-2016, 06:50 PM
The load I had worked up for my 338 LM still worked fine when it got back and they went through the same process. The triggers could both be a little lighter and I will get them that way pretty soon. For what ever reason the creedmoor was all over the place. Funny thing is the LM had to be bedded around the new recoil lug because the old one was bent and a newer thicker one was installed. They are both in the heavy clunky savage BA stocks. I dont even know what the bedding looks like in them and have never personally taken them apart that I can recall. I havent gotten to them yet. Ive been chasing down loads and scope issues on my wife's custom creedmoor first. We are planning on shooting a match next month and have been having drop table issues/data/scope tracking.......etc.etc. I currently have 3 calibers sitting on my reloading bench in various stages of reloading trying to get ready for this weekend which looks like rain. So maybe Saturday will be tear the savage creedmoor down day!! I did find my soldering iron so one step closer. Ive made my mind up however to just re run the load work up. The old one was a little on the hot side any how and they were so bad when I was last shooting them that I didnt even shoot the last 10. I brought them home and pulled the bullets.

doctnj
08-11-2016, 09:34 PM
yeah Hillbilly you're right. Im not a mechanic. I fix people.

But I have almost had an action bolt nearly strip the head and thats frying pan into the fire.

appreciate your input.

doctnj
08-19-2016, 10:37 PM
Hey TX hillbilly, this is an average 5 min of work.
https://youtu.be/gjRzuLy5POU

Robinhood
08-20-2016, 12:08 AM
You guy's are killing me with the Loctite issue!
Take a hair dryer or heat gun,and heat the bolt head up for a few seconds. It will break the bond of the Loctite,and the action screws will come right out. Then take some Acetone,and clean off the threads of the screws,and put them back in after you adjust the trigger.

Some of you guy's must not be very mechanically inclined,Loctite isn't that hard to break loose!

Savagesmith! At least people are trying. Some don't know when they are over their head. I like it when people ask questions. For me I take a punch and a small hammer and rep the screw head. It works for me when I can't use heat or it is impractical.

doctnj
08-20-2016, 11:50 AM
I DO plan on giving that a go however. The wife swears the trigger pull feels almost as light as the jewels. If that was the only issue I wouldn't even sweat it. But what some have said about differing torques causing the load to no longer work is what is driving me. I've dropped everything since my girl broke her arm, but things are settling down to a new kind of normal.

doctnj
08-20-2016, 11:55 AM
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

That is a super article about the very thing.
I just woke up from a very long night so it may be someone else's suggestion!

RC20
08-21-2016, 11:24 AM
I know people thought it was funny when I used the hair dryer on the barrel nut before I tried it. I will do it again.

Heat definitely works with locktite. Frankly it is good if you do both tap and heat.

If I even suspect locktite I use heat. One of those better safe than sorry items.

Of course the right fitting drive to the fastener is as important.

doctnj
08-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Well I took the high road and invited the gun smith shooting next weekend. I dont think he has ever done any real precision shooting. "very small town".

Off topic. Im heading out to practice and also grab some video of me shooting to look for weak spots in my technique and post them for scrutiny. Should I post that under at the range?

Robinhood
08-21-2016, 02:57 PM
Review of SSS truing and timing trigger job

What happened?

doctnj
08-21-2016, 04:41 PM
That's a broad question

Robinhood
08-22-2016, 09:46 PM
That's a broad question

Thats OK, the thread was starting to look like an AOL chat session. I thought I would bring it back to the OP.