PDA

View Full Version : Review of SSS truing and timing / trigger job

Pages : 1 [2] 3

doctnj
07-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Not to mention that this is an experience that is far from over. I won't be able to get to the range for two weeks. Going on vacation today woop!

doctnj
07-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Right now as I sit in beautiful Florida. I have Monday off to recuperate from the trip. I think I'll try and get at least 20 rounds loaded for the Creedmoor and see how it cycles and whether or not its still on paper. I have 338 rounds loaded out the ying yang so I'll run a couple clips through it as well. I had some fail to feeds on the 6.5 which is completely unacceptable considering a smith took appart and rebuilt, and a smith tuned the action. This thing should feed like butter. I'm going to take 3 mags and see if it is any particular mag.

foxx
07-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Feeding issues are generally not related to action timing and truing or lack there of. It's a magazine issue.

yobuck
07-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Right now as I sit in beautiful Florida. I have Monday off to recuperate from the trip. I think I'll try and get at least 20 rounds loaded for the Creedmoor and see how it cycles and whether or not its still on paper. I have 338 rounds loaded out the ying yang so I'll run a couple clips through it as well. I had some fail to feeds on the 6.5 which is completely unacceptable considering a smith took appart and rebuilt, and a smith tuned the action. This thing should feed like butter. I'm going to take 3 mags and see if it is any particular mag.

I just left my comfortable home in (beautiful) Florida. When the water starts boiling around my boat its time to leave.
When it gets so cold here I don't go outside, ill head back.

doctnj
07-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Ok that's good to hear!!

doctnj
07-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Yobuck. Yeah it's super nice here right now. Hot, but nice. We are doing a two day whirl wind visit. We ate at charlies last night and I must say it was the best steak of my life. A little off topic.

cdhbrad
07-15-2016, 10:58 AM
I just left my comfortable home in (beautiful) Florida. When the water starts boiling around my boat its time to leave.

I live on the West Coast of FL and Gulf Temp is 90, Tampa Bay 91.....no better over here.

doctnj
07-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Is that water temp?

bodywerks
07-17-2016, 11:42 PM
The SSS Competition trigger is adjustable for pull weight, creep and over travel. Like all rifles, the stock must be removed to do all of this. As for weight, it has an adjustable range of 2 pounds to mere ounces. My guess is it is set at it's highest setting. The thickness you feel is more often described as creep. It's the feeling the trigger has to move quite a bit before it clears the sear. That, too, can be set very short with the SSS Comp trigger and doing so will also lighten the trigger pull. These can al be adjusted fairly easily and really should be done, in my opinion, by the shooter. Ask Fred to send you his instructions for all of the above and I think you will be happier with it.

Also, I am SHOCKED if your "smith" loc tited your action screws. That is absolutely ridiculous and totally unnecessary.

This.
If you don't like your sss comp trigger send it to me! I'll pay what you paid for it.
It is hands down the most superior trigger assembly for the money.
I believe I run less than 50% of the trigger catching the sear, and then adjust trigger pull to about a pound. In three different rifles and probably 3,000 rounds I've had zero issues with any of the triggers.
And if your smith used loctite, time for another smith, again.
As for the action work, your results of 'feel' seem similar to others. A lot of what he does has to do with timing, and tightening up the efficiency of the cycling of the bolt.

doctnj
07-19-2016, 09:33 AM
The next bit of this will be in fits and spurts as I am at work and will post small parts at a time.

I had time to get to the range. I will say this first. I had two rifles done. 1. savage 110 ba 338 LM and 2. 10 ba 6.5CM
The 338 seemed to do well. Action was smooth. It picked up rounds nicely and ejected just fine. The rounds I had previously loaded from my ocw work up seemed to still group well after I got the scope reset.

Now for the problem child
The 6.5 didnt fare as well. It struggled to strip off rounds out of the mag. Now I know someone said that feeding was a mag issue, but this rifle came with a mag and it ONLY liked that one mag. It was an aics style "accurate mag". The mag had a fairly deep scratch so I knew which one it was. Well something sure has changed because it isnt feeding well. Its grabbing the round but getting in a bind half way to closed. I will try a different mag and see if the problem persists.

Now for accuracy. The load I had previously worked up is NO GOOD anymore for some reason. Before the work, it was 1/2 moa. Now its like 1 1/2 moa. It was bad enough that I didnt want to waste the last 10 rounds and decided I would take them back home and just pull the bullets and start over. I would sell it if I thought I could get any where near what I had into it but that aint ever going to happen.

bodywerks
07-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Pull that trigger and sell it to me before you sell the rifle!

doctnj
07-19-2016, 11:15 AM
lol, I already sold the accu trigger that went on it so dont think so. I do need to adjust both of them down. The pull weight is too heavy for my liking. And now I have to deal with loctited action screws. Great.

doctnj
07-19-2016, 11:16 AM
I bought it for well Im not even going to say.

Robinhood
07-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Doc, Take a small drift punch that fits into the socket of the screw and rap it with a hammer a few times. That may help you get the screws out. Dont hit on the face of the head as that will mushroom the socket inward causing even more trouble. Id that does not get it us a low speed drill to drill into the center of the head with a quality 17/64 drill bit. when the heads fall of pull the stock and use some locking pliers to remove the screws from the action. Heat may be required on the screw only.

bodywerks
07-19-2016, 04:55 PM
lol, I already sold the accu trigger that went on it so dont think so. I do need to adjust both of them down. The pull weight is too heavy for my liking. And now I have to deal with loctited action screws. Great.
I'll send you my accutrigger. Factory new. Off savage hs precision.

doctnj
07-19-2016, 05:11 PM
yeah body werks sorry that aint happening. I put way too much money into this **** rifle to back up. Im bound to dump more. Its turning into a nightmare. I dont know what has changed so much that it went from super accurate to crap. The first thing I will have to do is a new load work up but that is low priority right now. Ive got to get the 338 torn apart so I can get the trigger turned down so I can that back up and running.

Another smith/friend of mine advised me to use a soldering iron on the screw. He said he has run into this and uses the iron and holds it on there for quite some time and then uses a mini impact wrench to take them out. I dont have that kind of wrench.

doctnj
07-19-2016, 05:18 PM
I tell ya what bodywerks. Ill sell ya the trigger for 3k and ill throw in a limited edition rifle.

FW Conch
07-20-2016, 07:34 AM
Yes, heat is the key, even with Red Loctite, and a small tip soldering tool will work fine on action bolts or scope screws. The impact wrench is not necessary.

Enough heat and "patience" is the key ;-))

J.Baker
07-20-2016, 04:05 PM
Pull that trigger and sell it to me before you sell the rifle!

I'll send you my accutrigger. Factory new. Off savage hs precision.

Apparently some folks need to be reminded that any attempt to buy/sell/trade outside the classifieds isn't permitted.

bodywerks
07-21-2016, 11:26 AM
I tell ya what bodywerks. Ill sell ya the trigger for 3k and ill throw in a limited edition rifle.
Lol!