PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire What do I have

presstoncohunter
07-12-2016, 08:34 PM
I recently acquired while leaning out my father in laws basement 2 old Savage 22 rifles. Don't really know what I have, condition could only be considered fair but since they are family heirlooms the value really isn't as much of a question as to "what is it".

Here are a couple pics.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t113/prestoncohunter/Savage19nra/IMG_2031s_zpsafbzck6d.jpg
Apparently somewhere down the line someone didn't like the feel of carrying the rifle with the gap between the trigger guard and the clip and built a spacer to fill the gap, as it is bolted to the trigger guard and serves no purpose I can figure.

The sight really intrigued me for what appears to be the age of the rifle.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t113/prestoncohunter/Savage19nra/2016-0712_105049s_zps6ej5yesn.jpg

Have not located a serial number, the last patent date is: Nov 20, 1917

Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.

Since at the same time I found this gun I also found a pump action, octagon barrel, clip fed 22 and a Model 23c in 32-20 so I have a feeling I will be spending some time here picking your all's knowledge of these old rifles.

Robinhood
07-12-2016, 09:34 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?34489-Savage-NRA-Match-Rifle

Sav22
07-13-2016, 03:20 AM
As the link indicates it's a 1919 NRA Match rifle. It's a later production first version that was made form 1919 to about 1923~24 when the improved the bolt. Yours has two mounting screws for the rear sight and the ejection port is opened up more which were improvements made to the first version. The serial number will be stamped around the rear of the receiver where the bolt goes in at about the 10 o'clock position - this area often gets covered with dirt & dried oil that is rubbed off the bolt so it may need to be cleaned to see it. The first version had serial numbers under 25,000.

These came with a very flimsy and easily damaged rear sight made almost entirely from sheetmetal (the No 5) - the sight on yours is a No 10 which is a later improved sight that was made as a direct replacement for the No 5, mounting with the same two different size screws as the original. The No 10 is from several years after your gun was made.

It appears to have a 7 shot magazine from a Model 1903, 1909 or 1912 (which would require a slight modification to fit correctly) - the original magazines for these were only 5 shot and fit almost flush with the bottom of the stock which required them to have a button on the bottom for something to grab so they could be removed - the added piece in front of the trigger guard may have been added to help protect the longer magazine, or for cosmetic reasons, since it appears to line up with it.

As an added note, when you shoot the gun you will notice something that may seem odd with the spent cases - these early guns had a dual tip firing pin that strikes the cases 180° apart.

presstoncohunter
07-13-2016, 07:51 AM
Thank you for the information. I looked again this morning under a light and there is no serial number that I can find on the receiver, unless it would be under the sight. I am assuming finding a magazine for it would be difficult and expensive.

Sav22
07-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Serial number is on the rear 'rim', or end of the receiver - you have to look straight into the rear of the rifle as if you were looking down the bore and it's stamped around the left side at about the 10 o'clock position.

Magazines are not hard to find, they show up on eBay on a regular basis, but they usually bring between $50 to $100, the one you have should work fine. After markets are available but they are 8 shot stick out the bottom of the gun even farther than the one you have and do h=not have any eye appeal IMO. (for anyone looking, do not buy an after market off eBay, they usually bring much more there than they can be purchased for direct from they manufacturer or suppliers!)

presstoncohunter
07-13-2016, 11:55 AM
Thanks Sav22 I found it. 185xx don't know if that will help find the manufacture date or not.

The action is going to need some serious cleaning as the oil that was on it has turned into crud. It is very hard to get the bolt fully forward, it goes but takes more force than I would expect. Looking at the bolt it looks like a single firing pin but with the crud on the bolt face it may be that I'm just not seeing it.

Sav22
07-13-2016, 12:58 PM
These cock all on closing... so no matter how clean you get it it will still close hard. I have no way to date these other then estimate based on serial number & years of manufacture. Pulling the trigger while closing it will keep it from cocking - that will tell you if it's dirt causing some of the issue, or if it's just the way it is.

presstoncohunter
07-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks Sav22 didn't realize these cocked on closing that makes more sense, yes if you pull the trigger while closing the bolt the hammer does go down so it appears the bolt is functioning.

That serial number was actually pretty visible when I understood where to look lol. I am going to give a cleaning with Hoppie's and G96 and that will probably be it. Haven't decided if I will shoot it or not but depending on how it cleans up I may not be able to resist.

presstoncohunter
08-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Got lucky and found the original mag for this piece while sorting thru a box of mixed ammo and other things this weekend. So now the spacer piece that was being used to make it work with the 1903 mag will be removed. It's a bit stiff to get in and out, but I don't think it's anything a good cleaning won't take care of.