PDA

View Full Version : Model 16 - DBM conversion

Medic_01
07-24-2010, 01:09 AM
All

i've got a Savage Weather Warrior 16 in .223 and i am looking at getting a DBM conversion for it.
BUT, it's the model without the hinged floorplate, it's just a plastic stock base and staggered internal box mag.

can i still do it ?

rjtfroggy
07-24-2010, 06:57 AM
You would need a stock inletted for it and the hardware for the dbm.Not 100% sure but I think you can get the parts from Savage or SSS maybe even NSS. The stock depending on screw spacing from any after market vendor.

hailstone
07-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Parts are available from SSS although they were out of the blued SA length as I just got a SS setup from them for the DBM, frame and of course a competition trigger. Previous poster noted your stock would need inleting. Most stocks I've found are not inleted for the frame. Thought I had found a possible source in Numrich but even though the're OEM stocks they must be seconds. Action would not fit the stock, barrel channel is not fully formed and the inletting for DBM frame is incomplete. There pricing is reasonable compared to some others I've run across. If your handy with wood working then that's the route too take. Suspect that couple hours of fitting and finishing would result in factory appearance.

I've noticed that some of the plastic trigger guards off Stevens rifles will not work on after market stocks. If yours is plastic I would get the metal one at same time. May need different stock action screws length. Blind box in plastic stock and follower with spring will be used with the new bottom to make the magazine. Very simple conversion with correct parts. The Savage engineers really came up with minimum parts count when they designed this setup.

Medic_01
08-02-2010, 05:24 AM
i'll give a little more info.

My model is the older staggered feed .223 and it's internal magazine is attached to the stock.

can it still be done ?

Does the internal magazine just slide out of the action, from what it looks like it is a tounge and groove attachement.
Is it just as easy as cutting a hole in the stock, removing the mag and then screwing the new bottom metal on ???

or do i need a new stock / newer model rifle ?

advice please from you DBM owners !!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/Medic_01/Savage1.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/Medic_01/savage2.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/Medic_01/Savage3.jpg

hailstone
08-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Can't help much on the old style stagger feed as ones I've done are new center feed. The action screw spacing is different between the two styles. There is considerable inletting that is done for either the hinged floor plate or detachable box magazine setup. Better off getting one already setup unless your a real handy wood worker. Your description and photos are not matching. Older stagger feed models had the box magazine attached too the action by two tabs - one on the front and one on the rear. These tabs fit into milled slots in the receiver. Flat blade screwdriver used for prying in right area will aid in removal of the magazine. I doubt whether you could modify the plastic stock for DBM as don't believe there's enough material. Encountered two styles of DBM used on Savage rifles and am wondering if yours takes the other style. That style had a button in the side of the stock for magazine release. If so Numerich has stocks for that style of release.