PDA

View Full Version : Is Boyd's still around?

Pages : 1 [2]

chetc
08-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Dip ????????

Tpsfoto
08-16-2016, 12:37 PM
https://www.diproductsinc.com
here is their website......they make great hardware and have some Boyd stocks

Lonewulf
08-18-2016, 08:08 AM
gotta say I have several Boyd's stocks on my rifles and they are all great and all have been fast shipping EXCEPT this last one, ordered it July 13th and now it is august 18 and finaliy got a reply from them it is still at least 2 weeks out but they refunded my shipping so it is free ( I would rather have the stock now) :( now happy right now . 5 weeks waiting was bad enough but to add 2 more?

Hemi45
08-18-2016, 09:14 AM
I phoned in an order to Boyd's earlier this week. I was told it will be 3-4 weeks to make and a handful of days to ship once complete. I told the lady about all the bad press they're getting online and to please just be straight about how long it will take to get it to me. She seemed honest and realistic about the criticism and delays. I decided to take the chance. I have a Hog Hunter and even when shopping with non-name rifle specs there really isn't a lot out there for that model. When looking for a stock that can go from bench to field (shape, weight, profile, etc) there seems to be Boyd's and McMilan and I'm not willing to spend $500+ on a stock for this project. If I get the stock in mid to late September I'll be a satisfied customer.

stomp442
08-18-2016, 02:48 PM
I have always been really pleased with Boyds Stocks. I bet I have ordered 20 of them over the last couple years for myself and clients and never had one of them take longer than 10 days to my door until this last month. I had two clients order stocks first of July, one was a lightweight thumbhole for a Ruger and the other was a prairie hunter for a Savage that was supposedly a return that was offered at a discount price and ready to ship. We got the Ruger one at the end of July and still waiting on the one that was supposedly in stock ready to ship. I would probably be more upset if it were mine I was waiting on but I can understand the struggles of a business upgrading a warehouse and getting things situated before returning to full function. Being a business owner now I understand that some decisions need to be made based on what's good for your business at the risk of losing some business and upsetting customers in the short term. I'm sure this was a huge calculated risk on Boyds part as they have no doubt spent hundreds of thousands to upgrade their business in the hopes that the upgrades will allow them to sell more product in the long run. Given today's political pressures placed on business associated with the gun industry, we should be thankful that Boyds is still around and still making great products.

cttb
09-09-2016, 09:39 AM
My Boyd's stock that I ordered on May 13 will allegedly be delivered today. What are the odds of it being made correctly?

SidecarFlip
09-09-2016, 03:51 PM
Interesting... All stock makers are slow. I only purchase from Kelly MacMillan or Manners in Kansas City. Both have long lead times.

cttb
09-09-2016, 05:43 PM
My Boyd's stock that I ordered on May 13 will allegedly be delivered today. What are the odds of it being made correctly?

Well, the stock got here. Boyd's decided I didn't need a slot for the bolt handle.

What a joke of a company. Tell your customer it will take a month to get a stock but take four months to make it. Then ship a product that a basic visual inspection would reveal as non-functional.

SidecarFlip
09-09-2016, 05:46 PM
Wow... QC must be blind....

SidecarFlip
09-09-2016, 06:08 PM
Funny, the last custom stock I had made, I had Manners make it and I sent the action to them as well. They not only built a beautiful lightweight carbon fiber stock for me, they also bedded the action in a machined aluminum block that is a work of art in itself. It's all engine turned and just beautiful. I like admiring it with the action removed. You get what you pay for I guess. Kelly MacMillan also builds fantastic stocks but for a price again.

I had the Manners stock hydro dipped by Pacific Hydro Coating in Kuiu to match my Kuiu camo. None of it was cheap, I believe I have almost 2100 in the stock alone.
\
I waited almost 7 months for my stock from Manners but it was well worth the wait...and it came with a bolt handle slot, no extra charge....:becky:

foxx
09-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Funny, the last custom stock I had made, I had Manners make it and I sent the action to them as well. They not only built a beautiful lightweight carbon fiber stock for me, they also bedded the action in a machined aluminum block that is a work of art in itself. It's all engine turned and just beautiful. I like admiring it with the action removed. You get what you pay for I guess. Kelly MacMillan also builds fantastic stocks but for a price again.

I had the Manners stock hydro dipped by Pacific Hydro Coating in Kuiu to match my Kuiu camo. None of it was cheap, I believe I have almost 2100 in the stock alone.
\
I waited almost 7 months for my stock from Manners but it was well worth the wait...and it came with a bolt handle slot, no extra charge....:becky:

Nice, but how is this relevant to the thread?

SidecarFlip
09-09-2016, 07:41 PM

Relevancy......

"I waited almost 7 months for my stock from Manners but it was well worth the wait...and it came with a bolt handle slot, no extra charge....

Turn around on any custom built item is always long. Of course we live in a 'I want it now' society but it don't always happen that way. I would have a problem waiting for a stock and and then receiving it (after a protracted wait) defective. No excuse for that.

Even slower in turn around are taxidermists. I've waited over a year for a mount to be finished. Usually the wait is justified but sometimes it isn't.

cttb
09-12-2016, 11:40 AM
My problem with Boyd's is not the wait time itself, it's that when you order, Boyd's tells you on the website, the phone, and their order confirmations that it will take 3-4 weeks to get your stock. Then, when the stock doesn't show up on time, it take multiple emails and voice mails to get anyone to respond to you. There is no way to reach a live customer service rep (which I guess ought to tell you something). Even when you finally do get a response, Boyd's won't tell you when to expect your stock. The fact that they won't tell you when to expect your stock tells me they don't really know, for whatever reason.

Boyd's should just be truthful. If the wait time is four months, just say so. If they don't have any idea when you'll get your stock, they just need to say that. Regardless, it's fraudulent to advertise to customers that it takes 3-4 weeks to get a stock when that's obviously not true.

Boyd's told me they would ship my stock back to me "in about about 3 business days" if I sent it back to them (on their dime). I just cut the bolt handle slot myself this weekend because I don't trust Boyd's to get the stock back to me in a reasonable time.

wbm
09-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Is Boyd's still around?

YES!

cttb
10-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Yesterday, when I got home from work, there was a box from Boyd's waiting for me. I did not order a second stock. (My Boyd's tale of woe is detailed in this thread.) I opened the box to find a lovely featherweight thumbhole in pepper for a Savage model 10. I do not even own a Savage model 10 nor did I order a stock from Boyd's for a rifle I do not own. Now, having hoped I was finally finished with Boyd's to the point of choosing to cut my own bolt handle slot versus sending my stock back to them, I have to deal with them yet again to straighten this mess out.

foxx
10-12-2016, 06:57 PM
^^^Geesh!!! It's probably one of mine!!!!!!

Grandoug
11-01-2016, 03:02 PM
I ordered a Boyd's RH thumbhole for my B-Mag .17 on June 14. I went thru the plant "upgrade", then the July 4th closure, then fought my way through their voicemail "firewall" and ignore mail until I got their "couple of weeks" programmed answer. Finally in September a stock arrived, which I delivered to my gunsmith, only to fine out it was defective. Returned and it took the engineers two weeks to determine it was indeed defective, and a replacement order was put on the production line. It was supposed to take a "couple" of weeks". in frustration I e=mailed a Mr. Samarelli, the head of customer service, and I received a stock on October 14th. I received a call from a very pleasant lady whose job it was to guarantee my satisfaction. Had Boyd's done this in July I would have been OK. My stock was lost by UPS, twice, and they found it in Illinois, and then in Jacksonville Fla. Now I have it and it is OK.

SidecarFlip
11-01-2016, 09:14 PM

What is relevant is the turnaround time that I failed to mention. 6 weeks from inception to a returned stock with the action fitted. ready for hydro coating. THAT IS WHAT IS RELEVANT...

The complete build, barrel, action, stock and hydrocoat took 7 months but the complete stock and bedding was 6 weeks from portal to portal and no excuses either.