PDA

View Full Version : Convert .243 to 7mm-08. Worth it?

Pages : [1] 2

gixxer1g
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Hello fellas. New guy here. I have a Savage 110 in .243 and I'm considering changing the barrel to a 7mm-08. I'd like to use a new Savage barrel, as the replacement. The largest game I'd hunt with this rifle will be S. Texas deer and possibly wild boars. I've read a ton of post that state the .243 isn't the ideal round for these animals, ballistically speaking. I've also read that there have been accuracy issues, with the Savage 7mm-08 barrels. Will the 7mm-08 be significantly more effective on these animals, than the .243, to justify the barrel swap. Also, is there any truth to what I've read about the Savage 7mm-08 barrels being inherently inaccurate? I know someone will suggest upgrading to .308, but as odd as it may sound, I have to admit I'm recoil sensitive. Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

ctrout
09-23-2009, 06:31 PM
If it was my gun, I would do it without a second thought.

sinman
09-23-2009, 06:34 PM
7mm-08 is a great round and so is the 243. When hunting shot placement is way better than caliber. If you were just hunting texas deer I would use a 22-250 or other 22cal speed freak. but since you are using it for hogs then I would go to the 7mm-08 for the more weight in bullet. A 243 can kill a deer as good as a 300 mag if shot right, spend a lot of time with your rifle and get use to it and it will do its job. just remember the 22-6mm remington is also called the .224 texas trophy hunter and I would say if the 22 cal bullet will take a deer easily a 243 will have no problem.

tammons
09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Do it.

Great round. Nothing wrong with the 243 its just on the light side.
Better combined varmint/hunting round.

162 gr amax is a superb 7mm bullet. SD over .3, Bc over .6 and its cheap.

I killed a 200++ # boar hog, 300 yards, dropped him one shot with that a 162 amax in a 7mm-08.
Blew through him like a freight train.

IMO if you use barnes bullets, there is not so much difference between a 6.5mm,7mm,or 308 in actual killing power for normal size animals, but the 7mm-08 is a really good all around hunting cartridge.

setterman
09-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Change it.... I've had great success with a 139 SST(40 gr of IMR3031).shooting a 3/4 group at a hundred with a 20" factory savage barrel.

69Roadrunner
09-23-2009, 08:05 PM
My Savage barrel on my Stevens 200 shot four rounds into basically one hole at 100 yards - had one flier that ruined that particular five-shot group. Was using 139 Hornady SST with 42.0 grains of Varget. Don't know why anyone would think the factory 7mm-08 barrel wasn't good.

CFS
09-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I guess I'm on the other side of the fence. I'd leave it alone. I hunt coyotes and deer with a .243.
I have noticed a lot of interest in the 7-08 as of late, but .......
it's placement not the magic bullet. I did not see what grain of bullet you said you were using.
I use heavier bullets for deer and light for yotes. I have not had a problem so far.

My two cents
Pop

358Hammer
09-23-2009, 09:22 PM
I have taken 6 elk as a young man using a 100gr partition in a 243. 5 undisturbed one shot tip overs and one running all out down hill. The later went 50 yards and piled up to my amazement.
Have taken 3 elk with the 7X08 with similer results.

I would stay where you are if the barrel shoots to your standards. Its way flatter shooting than the 7X08 and as previously stated bobcats through elk and it will put them all down. Barrel quality determines accuracy in my experience.

However one can not have too many barrels and swapping barrels is habit forming. CAUTION

Neal

Cycler
09-23-2009, 11:00 PM
My Savage barrel on my Stevens 200 shot four rounds into basically one hole at 100 yards - had one flier that ruined that particular five-shot group. Was using 139 Hornady SST with 42.0 grains of Varget. Don't know why anyone would think the factory 7mm-08 barrel wasn't good.

Well, my experience is different. I have a new Model 16 in 7 mm-08 and the accuracy has been disappointing with factory ammo and with a variety of handloads using IMR 4895 and both Remington 140 gr PSP and Hornady 139 gr BTSP. The accuracy isn't terrible, say 1-1/2" to 2" groups reliably, but not what I expected.

The problem may be due to Savage, for reasons neither they nor anybody else can explain, use a 11.5" twist in their 7 mm-08 barrels. NOBODY else uses that slow a twist (9" to 9.5" is almost universal) and it may cause stability problems even with 140 gr bullets. Savage uses a 9" twist with their 7 mm Rem. Mag and 10" with their 7 mm WSM barrels but the one 7mm that needs the faster twist doesn't get it. :(

The result is that I have an order for a new 7mm-08 barrel with Sharp Shooters Supply.

GaCop
09-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Initially I had accuracy problems with my Stevens 200. I replaced the barrel with a factory Savage sporter and mine is now shooting 1/2" at 100 yards with my 120 gr BT handload. The beauty of a Savage or Stevens is......barrel doesn't shoot to expectations, replace it. Even Savage cranks out a "stinker" once and a while.

gixxer1g
09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses. As it is, I can get 1-1.5" groups (Hornady 100 gr Custom ammo) out of this little rifle. I've only taken it to the range once, so I'm sure the groups will improve, as I improve. With this type of accuracy, I'd hate to screw it up by putting another barrel on it. I think I'll buy one of the new 7mm-08 take-offs, in the sporter contour, from Northlander while he has them and make a decision, later. A bit off topic, but if I opt to go with a .308 barrel, will the recoil significantly greater than the .243?

Cycler
09-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Initially I had accuracy problems with my Stevens 200. I replaced the barrel with a factory Savage sporter and mine is now shooting 1/2" at 100 yards with my 120 gr BT handload. The beauty of a Savage or Stevens is......barrel doesn't shoot to expectations, replace it. Even Savage cranks out a "stinker" once and a while.
OK, I remember your initial postings about the problems you were having and I'm glad the new barrel fixed them.

I would be interested in knowing how your rifle groups with 140 gr and heavier bullets. As I said, that 11.5" twist doesn't seem nearly fast enough for a 7 mm-08, particularly with heavier bullet weights.

chutesnreloads
09-24-2009, 09:06 PM
With the question I was going to ask ,it's interesting to find this thread here.I'll save my question for another thread.I have changed a .243 to a 7-08 and on hind sight and for a couple of reasons think I could have spent my money wiser.The main reason for switching was because I was unhappy with the .243 accuracy.My excuse for changing the barrel was losing a hog shot with the .243,blaming the loss to the small bullet.That was wrong thinking as I've since lost hogs to .308 and 8x57 but killed cleanly a few and lost none to a .223.What this means is where the bullet was placed is more important than how big the bullet is.If I'd known then what I know now ,probably none of them hogs would have been lost.Keep the .243 and if you still want something else ,buy another rifle.

dcloco
09-24-2009, 09:34 PM
With the question I was going to ask ,it's interesting to find this thread here.I'll save my question for another thread.I have changed a .243 to a 7-08 and on hind sight and for a couple of reasons think I could have spent my money wiser.The main reason for switching was because I was unhappy with the .243 accuracy.My excuse for changing the barrel was losing a hog shot with the .243,blaming the loss to the small bullet.That was wrong thinking as I've since lost hogs to .308 and 8x57 but killed cleanly a few and lost none to a .223.What this means is where the bullet was placed is more important than how big the bullet is.If I'd known then what I know now ,probably none of them hogs would have been lost.Keep the .243 and if you still want something else ,buy another rifle.

...and bullet performanc/choice of bullet for the job at hand.

tammons
09-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Hog + TTSX bullet = Bacon.

I try to shoot hogs exactly where I should, but at times I pull a shot, misjudge distance, hit a twig etc.
You can literally hit a hog most anywhere in the body with a decent size barnes TTSX bullet and they will go down.

My dad is 88yo and shoots a 6.8 spc which is a bit weak compared to a 308 or a 7mm-08.
He has not lost even one shooting 110 gr TTSX bullets.
None have run more than 20 yards and they keel over dead.

I loaded some 95 gr noslers for his 243 and he lost a couple with that.

I have yet to load up any 80 gr TTSX bullets for his 243.

Cycler
09-25-2009, 02:03 PM
When hunting shot placement is way better than caliber........... A 243 can kill a deer as good as a 300 mag if shot right....
True, but most of us can't rely on always getting the shot right and reasonable extra horsepower is always a good idea to cover small, and maybe not-so-small, errors.

I recall reading W.D.M Bell, the famous African hunter, routinely used a 7x57 to kill elephants. That doesn't make it a reasonable choice for most of us.

jb45colt
09-26-2009, 01:59 PM

Well, my experience is different. I have a new Model 16 in 7 mm-08 and the accuracy has been disappointing with factory ammo and with a variety of handloads using IMR 4895 and both Remington 140 gr PSP and Hornady 139 gr BTSP. The accuracy isn't terrible, say 1-1/2" to 2" groups reliably, but not what I expected.

The problem may be due to Savage, for reasons neither they nor anybody else can explain, use a 11.5" twist in their 7 mm-08 barrels. NOBODY else uses that slow a twist (9" to 9.5" is almost universal) and it may cause stability problems even with 140 gr bullets. Savage uses a 9" twist with their 7 mm Rem. Mag and 10" with their 7 mm WSM barrels but the one 7mm that needs the faster twist doesn't get it. :(

The result is that I have an order for a new 7mm-08 barrel with Sharp Shooters Supply.

I wonder why they did that on the 16, The Stevens 200 that I have is 1 in 9.5

tammons
09-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Rediculous.

Why would they switch to a 11.5 twist ??

That rules out using the heavier barnes bullets.
The 162 gr amax wont fly in a 11.5 twist, and that is
one seriously good bullet.

Guess they figure you only need to shoot 120 gr bullets in a 7mm-08.
According to greenhill (which is not 100% accurate) a 120 gr barnes TTSX bullet needs a 11 twist.

Cycler
09-26-2009, 06:21 PM
I wonder why they did that on the 16, The Stevens 200 that I have is 1 in 9.5

Are you sure of that? I know the twist Savage publishes for the Stevens 200 in their catalog and web site is 9.5" but another poster with a 7 mm-08 Stevens reported his barrel also has the 11.5" twist. It doesn't make any sense that Savage would make a barrel speciffically for their lower cost line so I expect it's a typo. BTW, the Savage web site used to list the twist of their various Savage models in 7 mm-08 barrels as 9.5" even when the catalog said 11.5".

Why would they use an 11.5" twist? I have no idea and the "Tech Service" person at Savage could only confirm that was the twist they use but couldn't give me an explanation as to why. It makes no sense but that's the situation.

tammons
09-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I just looked it up on the website and in the online catalog.

Both say 11.5 twist for savage

For Stevens it lists 9.5 twist, so either they forgot to update it or they use
different or old blanks for the stevens.

Who in the heck wants a 11.5 twist 7mm-08 anyway.