PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: FVSR thread protector

BigSouthFork
07-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Thought this might be the best site to help find something I'm needing. My brother left a few rifles with me when he deployed to have cerakoted for him. I've found the place that I'm going to have the work done, but when looking over the rifles I noticed that he left the thread protector off of his FVSR. He normally shoots it suppressed so it likely wouldn't be a huge problem, but I'd rather have a protector coated for it when it gets done. I know it's threaded to 1/2-28, but didn't know if the outside diameter and depth are the same. Does any AR protector work? I'd check with Savage, but their website says they are out until the 17th and I'll likely have them sent off by then.

J.Baker
07-08-2016, 05:03 AM
Pretty sure Savage is just using off-the-shelf protectors - probably the same one's you'd buy for an AR from Midway or Brownells. Never had one in hand, but looking at the pic's on their website of the threaded barrels it looks like on all of them the thread protector is a little larger in diameter than the barrel. I'd just use an AR one on it and call it good.

The EGW one I got from Brownells for my last AR build measures 0.810" O.D. if that helps any. Brownells p/n 296-000-104 or EGW p/n 30900

BigSouthFork
07-08-2016, 07:38 AM
Pretty sure Savage is just using off-the-shelf protectors - probably the same one's you'd buy for an AR from Midway or Brownells. Never had one in hand, but looking at the pic's on their website of the threaded barrels it looks like on all of them the thread protector is a little larger in diameter than the barrel. I'd just use an AR one on it and call it good.

The EGW one I got from Brownells for my last AR build measures 0.810" O.D. if that helps any. Brownells p/n 296-000-104 (tel:296-000-104) or EGW p/n 30900

That actually helps a lot. On one site that makes compensators they have theirs listed at .800 and as a perfect match. If the protectors are running a little bigger than the barrel than that adds up right. Thanks for your help.