PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my 12 BLVSS

Special Ed
07-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Hello all,

It's been awhile since I posted but that's because my dear wife took a job in Seattle and I've been busy selling up in Texas and moving to the Pacific North Wet (one of the benefits of working from home is I can go wherever her career takes her). Anyhoo - I haven't been lazy on the Savage front. Before we left Texas my wife saw a show about smallbore silhouette and decided that's something she wanted to do. So - we both got Savage .22LR bolt guns. Yeah - I know the MKII isn't an Anschutz or some fancy expensive rifle but we're going to enjoy shooting them and spend less money in the process. These are our babies:

http://geekrc.net/images/New_Savys.jpg

Hers is a MKII Lady Hunter (she's petite) and mine is a MKII GL. Both are topped with EGW rings and bases and, because you can't skimp on glass, Leupold FX-3 Silhouette 25x40 scopes.

Up above them you'll notice the subject of this post - the 12 BLVSS I bought just before I left Texas. It's chambered in 22-250 for now. It's been used but still has life left in it. What I'd like y'all to help me decide is....what should I do with it?

I will admit I bought it just because it was a lefty and a Savage and it looked beefy. I don't shoot varmints and have no plans to start. I have my Savage Axis project done and built in .308 for some F-T/R shooting and a Ruger American in 7mm-08 which I intend to setup for high power silhouette. So what to do with this 12 BLVSS? By the time I'm done I expect it won't be a BLVSS :)

If it matters, I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 scope that's waiting to find a home so perhaps it can go on whatever I build from this BLVSS foundation. It's got the HV.5 reticle in it but unless I build the Savage specifically for a load that works with that reticle, I have been planning to send it back to Nightforce to have an MOAR reticle swapped into it.

Now - since diarrhea of the mouth is my specialty - I've been thinking about putting a Shilen 6.5x47 or 6.5 Creedmoor (since I've never reloaded before) on the Savage and laying it to rest in a McMillan stock. So obviously I've been thinking about making this a long range rig.

OR - I can just keep it for what it is and build a long range rig out of a 700 action - assuming I can find one in left hand.

What say you?

Any other ideas of what I can do with this? The wife owes me big time for agreeing to move to a state controlled by liberal Seattleites so I plan to do this one right :-)

Cheers,
John

jpx2rk
07-07-2016, 06:16 AM
Maybe convert it to 223 for some cheaper practice time in FTR??

Texas10
07-07-2016, 08:18 AM
I'd buy the 6.5 CM barrel, bed the stock, remove that rear sling swivel, put it on a good bi-pod and shoot the snot out of it. Nothing wrong with that factory stock unless it really just does not fit you.

Special Ed
07-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks, guys. I have a .223 rifle, jpx2rk, but I didn't think to use it for less expensive FTR practice - that's a great idea.

Texas10 - you're right...the factory stock is fine. Of all the factory stocks I've come across, the one on this BLVSS is the first I don't really want to change. It darn near fits me to a T. I think I'll shoot out this barrel and then convert him to something 6.5mm or 6mm.

cowboybart
07-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Good luck in the PNW. Hold on to your rights and wallet as both will become less!
Tell me more about the NightForce.

Special Ed
07-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Good luck in the PNW. Hold on to your rights and wallet as both will become less!
Tell me more about the NightForce.

You can feel both your rights and your wallet being sucked out of your possession around here. Funny thing though - when you're away from the city, you see more Trump signs than Bernie or Hillary signs. I think it's true what they say here - Seattle dictates what happens to the rest of the state.

The Nightforce - I made the tough decision and today it went back to NF to have the MOAR reticle swapped into it. I tried and tried to find the exact right load needed to work with the HV.5 reticle but had no luck. So...when I found a lefty Remington 700 SPS Varmint (.243 Win) last weekend, I decided the NF would stay in the family and be used for the Remmy build. I think the MOAR reticle will be much better since it won't be tied to one load in order to be usable. Can't say I'm bummed to have to use a NF scope on one of my rifles.