PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 FV front scope base hole and barrel threads?

robertb
07-06-2016, 09:19 AM
I purchased a Savage 12 FV and installed a Criterion .260 bull barrel. In installing the Leupold 1pc 20 MOA base, I noticed the screw (all 6-48 screws were the same length) going into the first receiver hole was tight before bottoming out. My concern is that I may have gotten down into the barrel threads when I tightened.

My question is if this will cause problems down the road with removing the barrel? I've since called Leupold and requested a 6-48 screw that is .030 shorter. The original 6-48 screw was .180 and the new one will be .150.

RC20
07-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Not sure the thread holes go all the way through. I was not looking when I did mine but did not see that and I cleaned those threads carefully as there was a lot of good in them.
You may have just bottomed out.

If it does, threads may be a bit dinged but I think it would come off ok. If not, work it back and forth in the one position to free it up and back off

Do you use an action wrench?

You can clamp the barrel between two blocks of wood and using just the action wrench move it back and forth, same if it stops anywhere along the line.

FW Conch
07-06-2016, 09:16 PM
^ Yes, the hole does go all the way through ^. That front screw could very well have bottomed out on the barrel threads. If so, Your front scope base is not torquing down properly. The screw can easily be shortened by holding it in it's torque tip and rub the end of it back and forth on a file or stone. Not much has to be removed.

RC20 pretty much covered the rest of it ^ :-)

DrThunder88
07-07-2016, 01:12 AM
They definitely go all the way through. I had the misfortune of locking up my 12FV's action with the screw from my Weaver one-piece rail.

RC20
07-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Very Good to know, not something I would do but I can see it saving costs and these are a great bargain and a lot of fun.