PDA

View Full Version : Facriry 223 or build

chetc
07-06-2016, 08:56 AM
My friend is looking for a range toy and some local competitions, he wants to stay with the 223 caliber with an 8 or 9 twist, he wants to get some ideas either build or buy, he was looking at some of the top of the line Savage rifles they are in the $1400 area, would he be better off going with a action, Xcaliber barrel, choate tactical stock and a trigger, if we can find an action at the right price, would this be the way to go. or are there other models off the shelf that are a good buy

Chet

Texas10
07-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Have you looked into pawn shops for a cheap "donor" action? Let's say you pay $250, buy a custom barrel for $300, add the stock of your choice for less than $250, now you haven't broke the bank but do have a decent starter rifle.

Thumper76
07-06-2016, 05:43 PM
The Cabela's 12FV would be a good place to start. He would start off with a decent rifle at a decent price. That way, he could change out whatever he doesn't like about the rifle, but still have something to shoot in the meantime. An added bonus is he could recoup some of his money by selling whatever he takes off of it.

RC20
07-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Agreed on the Savage 12FV at Cabella's. The only low grade component on it is the stock and even its ok.

The barrel is not just a Varmint, its a Savage Varmint profile which means one step down from a Bull Barrel and its a good barrel. Jeweled bolt, top bolt release (which I like) and the acu trigger (Varmint as well, i.e. it adjusts down to 1.5 lbs pull vs the acu hunter that is 2.5)

While I was working to do a long action, the best one I found in good condition was $550. Now that also meant it had the acu trigger that I had on the 12FV and liked and that's $100 if that trigger agrees with you. It also had the stock I wanted to try and while minor, nice to get the segmented nut.

Cabellas does not have a low cost long action with the acu trigger and they don't make even a Varmint barrel in 06 so this was a low cost way to get what I wanted and a bit heavier barrel as well.

So there is a balance in all of it.

I would get that and once he figures out what he likes, upgrade the stock. Mine has an EABCO laminate on it (has pillars), but I am not going to be shooting .250 groups (regularly) and I like the looks of wood so I am wiling for a bit less accuracy potential versus like how it looks.

Lot of good composite stocks that have a metal bed in them that are the step up in accuracy along with the Pilars.

Funny thing is the 12FV is low cost enough, get it on sale and a rebate and for short action cartridges you can't do better used let alone as good.

Cyclops
07-07-2016, 02:35 AM
My son & I began FTR shooting with a standard off the shelf Model 12 VLP DBM in .223, 1:7 twist 26" barrel.
All that had to be done was add a 20 MOA rail and scope.

Firing 80 gr A-Max in Norma cases with 24.7 gr Varget, it's competitive against .223 or .308 out to 1000 yards.
About 2840 fps with this load. Still supersonic at 1000 yards.

Have fired aboiut 3000 rounds with it in 2 seasons of shooting.

It might be more expensive to start with, but has required no other expenditure since purchase, which was important as we were (are) beginners.

Bimmer
07-10-2016, 10:04 AM
... wants to stay with the 223 caliber with an 8 or 9 twist...

Don't take my word for it, but AFAIK a 1:9 twist isn't enough to stabilize heavier .223 bullets, especially not at long distance...

FiveInADime
07-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Don't take my word for it, but AFAIK a 1:9 twist isn't enough to stabilize heavier .223 bullets, especially not at long distance...
I would go 1:8 if I was choosing. Most likely it will shoot 69-80 grainers very well and only the 90gr bullets would be left on the table.

I've got a 1:9" Savage (22" medium-weight barrel) and it will shoot 75gr Hornady HPBT but I haven't tried the 75gr Amax or 77gr SMK.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk