PDA

View Full Version : Ordering parts for an 11VT .223

Newbe
07-06-2016, 03:52 AM
I bought my .223 bolt action model 11VT from Dicks Sporting Goods a couple years ago, and know it's kind of a model that's specially made for them.

I want to order some parts for it, but am not sure I'll be getting the correct one.

I looked up the model 11 on Numerich's site and it didn't list a model VT.

For those that have one of these and want to order parts, where do you go to get them, and how do you know you're getting the right part?

Savage won't sell me a firing pin because I'm not an FFL holder (wich I find stupid and annoying at the same time).

Thanks in advance!

Texas10
07-06-2016, 04:46 AM
Savage WILL sell you a firing pin, you just have to sign a waiver, then you can buy all you want. I had to buy a FP to cure a cratering/piercing issue.....poor FP to bolt head fit. Bought several so that I could pick through them a get a good fit.

Log onto the Savage website and go to Store, scroll down to parts and enter your serial number. Click on the number in the diagram, a p/n and price will pop up.

You'll need to call Customer Service, and order over the phone, not online for that part. They'll email you a waiver to sign, fax it back and you're golden.

EDIT: Just realized you said you have a new gun, so the serial number may not (yet) be entered into the Savage online date base, and you may not be able to look up a schematic.

Newbe
07-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Savage WILL sell you a firing pin, you just have to sign a waiver, then you can buy all you want. I had to buy a FP to cure a cratering/piercing issue.....poor FP to bolt head fit. Bought several so that I could pick through them a get a good fit.

Log onto the Savage website and go to Store, scroll down to parts and enter your serial number. Click on the number in the diagram, a p/n and price will pop up.

You'll need to call Customer Service, and order over the phone, not online for that part. They'll email you a waiver to sign, fax it back and you're golden.

EDIT: Just realized you said you have a new gun, so the serial number may not (yet) be entered into the Savage online date base, and you may not be able to look up a schematic.

It's not new, it's a couple or more years old. I called Savage, and she didn't offer a waiver. She said she couldn't sell to me if I wasn't an FFL holder :/

foxx
07-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Midway has firing pins.

I am wondering why you might need one, though.

darkker
07-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Yeah, 11 bvss, 11 vt, all the same rifle, just has different "niceties" hanging on it.

Texas10
07-06-2016, 09:38 PM
It's not new, it's a couple or more years old. I called Savage, and she didn't offer a waiver. She said she couldn't sell to me if I wasn't an FFL holder :/

Call again, talk to some one else, and be sure to ask to sign a waiver.

Some months ago I posted about just how far they were behind in updating serial number lists for access to schematics. As I recall, at that time they were about 1800 serial numbers behind. I just tried to log on to check to see if my year ago purchase was visible online, but for some reason the parts dept is off line, and not due back until......7 months AGO....WTF?

foxx
07-06-2016, 10:58 PM
They are off for the 4th of July till next week or the following week. not sure. they do this every year.

Newbe
07-07-2016, 03:13 AM
Midway has firing pins.

I am wondering why you might need one, though.
The reason is two-fold. I am currently modifying the stock firing pin in hopes of eliminating the cratering and blanking at midrange loads. I have already experienced some success with this method, though I'm not quite where I'd like to be in this respect.

I'd also like to get a thicker firing pin if at all possible to narrow the gap between the pin and hole, or replace the one I'm modifying should I go to far with removing material from the end of the firing pin.

Yeah, 11 bvss, 11 vt, all the same rifle, just has different "niceties" hanging on it.
Thats good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

Call again, talk to some one else, and be sure to ask to sign a waiver.

Some months ago I posted about just how far they were behind in updating serial number lists for access to schematics. As I recall, at that time they were about 1800 serial numbers behind. I just tried to log on to check to see if my year ago purchase was visible online, but for some reason the parts dept is off line, and not due back until......7 months AGO....WTF?
I may just do that then if you think it will work.

Newbe
07-07-2016, 03:15 AM
They are off for the 4th of July till next week or the following week. not sure. they do this every year.
Well that is unfortunate.

foxx
07-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Again, Midway has your firing pins in stock and do not require the silly FFL.

In the meantime, the diameter of the tip (last inch or so) of the firing pins are all the same. Though they do make "large" and "small", the distinction does not refer to that portion of the pin. Also, their length can be adjusted mechanically. Though I could not begin to explain how to do it, if you look closely you will see they are threaded like a screw just for that purpose.

Newbe
07-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Again, Midway has your firing pins in stock and do not require the silly FFL.

In the meantime, the diameter of the tip (last inch or so) of the firing pins are all the same. Though they do make "large" and "small", the distinction does not refer to that portion of the pin. Also, their length can be adjusted mechanically. Though I could not begin to explain how to do it, if you look closely you will see they are threaded like a screw just for that purpose.

Hmm.... Very interesting. Did not know that. I will have to take another look. I'm used to working with solid one piece firing pins.