PDA

View Full Version : Interchanging barrels

Ratbuster
07-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Last year I built two Target Action based 20 caliber varmint rifles (20 Vartarg and 20 Practical) with Boyd's thumbhole stocks and 26" Criterion bull barrels. I installed pillars and bedded both and they shoot extremely well, averaging around .25 to .30 inch CTC at 100 yards.

I also have the parts to build third Target Action. It is a new 20 Practical Criterion barrel with muzzle brake but has not yet been put together because the action is off to Sharp Shooters Supply for their truing and tune service. I am impatient and really don't want to wait to get the action back before trying the new muzzle brake so I am thinking about temporarily installing the new barrel onto my original 20 Practical action and stock. I know the Savage is billed as a switch barrel gun but I am wondering if the existing bedding and pillar job might not mate perfectly with the new barrel. If I do this I will use the original precision lug and nut I bought from from Northland Shooters.

Thanks for your experiences

Nor Cal Mikie
07-05-2016, 06:27 PM
You're replacing the "barrel" only so get with it!! Set the headspace as usual and go shooting.

RC20
07-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Like he says. As you have bull barrels and they don't get any larger, any barrel type will fit, more clearance if its smaller, fine if its another bull.

earl39
07-05-2016, 09:35 PM
If the action is bedded i would use the recoil lug in the rifle now so as not to change anything other than the barrel

Ratbuster
07-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Thanks for confirming this will work well guys