PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Throat on Savage 12FV .223 - Not a Show-Stopper

indianasavage
07-04-2016, 05:34 PM
I recently purchased a Savage 12FV as the Cabela's sale came to an end, I couldn't resist. This will become my "go-to" .223 rifle and the Edge/Axis will stay in the case. The Edge/Axis was actually quite accurate with handloads as I could hold 1 MOA at 500 yards. I am using the same load in the new 12FV, but have to seat the bullets deeper due to a shallower throat. I am using 69 gr. Sierra Tipped MatchKings on top of 25 grains of Varget. The COAL for the Edge/Axis was 2.400". The COAL for the 12FV is 2.315. Both allow for a 0.020" jump to the lands. That is a difference of 0.085" which is significant. The 12FV version becomes a slightly compressed load, which is okay. Anyway, I thought this was kinda interesting.

The new 12FV did display good accuracy today when taken to 500 yards, I was able to hold a 4" group. I'm happy with it.

tufrthnails
07-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Are you gonna do anymore load workup with the FV? I wonder if the FV is built like that on purpose or if it is just the nature of the beast one was machined at the end of a components life and the other at the beginning.

Zero333
07-05-2016, 08:17 AM
I have and had several Savage factory chambers with little freebore. I also don't like it. best solution is to get a uni-throater from PT&G. Easy job for a home gunnysmith with the uni-throaters.

I would call PT&G and ask to speak with someone who knows all about them and can explain to you how they work. Otherwise you can take the barreled action (or just the barrel) to a gunsmith who can extend the freebore with a throater.

The uni-throater probably costs more what a gunsmith would charge to extend the freebore with a throater.
The uni-throaters are caliber specific, not cartridge specific. So a 22cal uni-throater will work on any 22cal cartridge chamber.

Newbe
07-06-2016, 03:15 AM
I recently purchased a Savage 12FV as the Cabela's sale came to an end, I couldn't resist. This will become my "go-to" .223 rifle and the Edge/Axis will stay in the case. The Edge/Axis was actually quite accurate with handloads as I could hold 1 MOA at 500 yards. I am using the same load in the new 12FV, but have to seat the bullets deeper due to a shallower throat. I am using 69 gr. Sierra Tipped MatchKings on top of 25 grains of Varget. The COAL for the Edge/Axis was 2.400". The COAL for the 12FV is 2.315. Both allow for a 0.020" jump to the lands. That is a difference of 0.085" which is significant. The 12FV version becomes a slightly compressed load, which is okay. Anyway, I thought this was kinda interesting.

The new 12FV did display good accuracy today when taken to 500 yards, I was able to hold a 4" group. I'm happy with it.
Have you tried playing with the bullet jump?

I find the best accuracy right up against the lands, sometimes jammed .010" though you'll need to be careful with pressure jumping up.

Texas10
07-06-2016, 05:14 AM
Somewhere between 25 and 26 grains of Varget will put those TMK's into tiny groups, and they shoot realllllly flat too. I am shooting them out of a new 26 in Criterion match chambered 223 now, and my base to ogive (BTOG) measurement is 1.915 to be .020 off.

I wore my first (factory) barrel out, the throat was so eroded I couldn't touch lands with a 75 gr HPBT and still keep the bullet in the case. Point is, you're going to be chasing the lands as the throat erodes, and able to use a longer bullet as it does. So go with the flow and use what fits best now. A 53 gr V-Max or p/n 1400 sierra and some 3031 will drill tiny groups with your (still) shallow throat. My son's 12FV is shooting those very well now and like yours, it's still fairly new, although next on our load development list is the 69 grain SMK and TMK.

BTW: if your not measuring BTOG (instead of COAL) already, you might consider getting the Hornaday OAL gage and appropriate modified case, along with the digital calipers and headspace gages, and start using that as a guide to setting jump when hand loading, that is if you're thinking about getting serious about putting those bullets on top of each other when you shoot.

The FV is quite a capable gun, not to mention a marvelous marketing tool from Cabelas standpoint. Toss that Rubbermade stock, get a laminate or good custom stock, bed it right, do a little bolt work, and you'll have a very inexpensive, tack driving son of a gun, with a decent scope of course.

indianasavage
07-06-2016, 06:51 AM
Addressing several of the questions brought forth... I am using a Hornady OAL Gauge with a Hornady .223 modified case. Yes, this works very well. I just ordered the .223 ogive measuring set-up and will have that soon. I may go somewhat tighter to the lands, but I don't intend jam at all. This load is working very well. I don't really intend to do any experimentation at this point.

Yes, the 12FV does need a new stock. I have not decided the exact stock as of yet. It will not be laminated wood. It will have an aluminum bedding block. I'd like to switch to a DBM, also. The internal mag is not that terrible to feed, however. I will do some low grade competition with it and need 2 mags loaded and ready.