PDA

View Full Version : 6.5-284 on 110 action bolt lift sticky

5jmotorsports
07-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Hey gents....I built a 6.5-284 on a 110 side bolt release. Shoots fairly well (3/4 Moa, I think it should be better)

Devcon bedded Hogue stock
CBI varmint 26" barrel
Rifle basix trigger (1.5#)
leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50 LR
Lapua brass

I've been working up loads with Nosler 142 ABLR

so with no pressure signs or hard bolt lift, the bolt still sticks at the top of the stroke a bit. Like the last 1/8" of up throw kinda pops up. Needing more force to lift bolt. Then the bolt slides back and ejects just fine. Curious what this might be...??? It does this randomly with any bullet...

Thanks for any input.

geargrinder
07-04-2016, 03:32 PM
That's your primary extraction doing its job. It is the last part of rotation when the lugs have cleared the abutments and the ramp on the bolt handle and the ramp on the rear baffle interact to start the bolt moving backward.

Primary extraction is needed to break the grip of the brass case from the chamber.

RC20
07-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Try cleaning your chamber. Mine do the same thing, not used to it but I shot Mil surplus before I got into the more accurate Savage system.

I thought it was pressure signs but I was well below that.

I ran a chamber brush in mine then pushed a patch through and an amazing amount of good came out of a barrel that was clean.

I thought I would be getting it clean with the patch going down but not true.

If I shoot a fair amount of rounds they won't even extract on the first lift, drop it back down, let it cool off a bit more and then generally ok.