PDA

View Full Version : I love shooting my rifle

Idaho
07-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Almost three years ago I bought a Savage model 10 in .223 and quickly found out that the factory barrel was a POS. I came to that conclusion after reloading hundreds of rounds and trying several scopes and lots of advice. A friend even bedded the action for me with no improvement. I finally ordered a faster twist varmint barrel from McGowen in Kalispell Montana and had it mounted to the action. WOW, after working up a load and refining my reloading technique all I can say is "NICE". This rifle is an absolute pleasure to shoot. So far the longest shot I've been able to make is 840 yards on a milk jug. This spring I've killed over 300 rock chucks for one very grateful farmer with the longest shot on a little chuck at 475 yards.
I range the distance to the target, set the turret for bullet drop and hit the target. Simple, effective and fun. No one likes to miss and when I have the hold over set right this rifle delivers. The accuracy is almost uncanny.
All I can say is WooHoo!!!! I love it!!:thumb:

FiveInADime
07-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Almost three years ago I bought a Savage model 10 in .223 and quickly found out that the factory barrel was a POS. I came to that conclusion after reloading hundreds of rounds and trying several scopes and lots of advice. A friend even bedded the action for me with no improvement. I finally ordered a faster twist varmint barrel from McGowen in Kalispell Montana and had it mounted to the action. WOW, after working up a load and refining my reloading technique all I can say is "NICE". This rifle is an absolute pleasure to shoot. So far the longest shot I've been able to make is 840 yards on a milk jug. This spring I've killed over 300 rock chucks for one very grateful farmer with the longest shot on a little chuck at 475 yards.
I range the distance to the target, set the turret for bullet drop and hit the target. Simple, effective and fun. No one likes to miss and when I have the hold over set right this rifle delivers. The accuracy is almost uncanny.
All I can say is WooHoo!!!! I love it!!:thumb:
Is a rockchuck same as a woodchuck?

I'm surprised your original barrel was a dud. I bought a Savage .223 with the notion that I would replace the barrel with a .223AI custom if it wasn't a real good one. Mine turned out to be really accurate. I might still spin on a .223AI barrel in the future but I'm content for now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RC20
07-10-2016, 09:16 PM
If the OP got a faster twist and then it worked a consideration is the bullets were not happy with the twist.

Even the right bullet for a twist sometimes does not do what its supposed to, you then have to go up and down to see if there is one it likes.

sometimes the barrel simply does not like a given mfgs bullet even if twist and bullet are right.

One reason I have two identical caliber barrels on two different guns right now. It allows me to cross check. I have concluded a lot of it is me and technique but also a factor of one day I am close but not quite on with the load and COAL.

475 yards on a wood or rock chuck is beyond credible.

FiveInADime
07-10-2016, 10:37 PM
475 yards on a wood or rock chuck is beyond credible.

Guys shoot prairie dogs that far, routinely. If a rockchuck is the same as a woodchuck that would be real doable for just about anyone with a ~1MOA gun, a rangefinder, and a steady rest.

We shoot 2-liter bottles at 500 and milk jugs at 600-800 yards. I used to think that was quite the feat until I started doing it.

justinp61
07-10-2016, 10:46 PM
I have killed several at the 440-450 range with my 22-250 and have no doubts I can do it at 475.

Idaho
07-15-2016, 10:13 PM
I tried MANY different bullet weights, powders, charges, seating depths, etc. with the original barrel and it was just a piece of crap. The new barrel with the 8 twist LOVES 75 gr A-Max and has been one shot dead on at 800 yards. I've not found a chuck at that yardage yet and it looks like that season is coming to a screaming halt. Guess i will have to go to the desert and glass for long range jack rabbits.

Fiveinadime, a rock chuck is a cousin of wood chucks but about half the size.

It looks like tomorrow morning may be my chance to prove if the gun and I can hit a target at 1000 yards because a friend wants to head out on the desert and set up a steel target. I'll be happy to post here how that goes. My load will be my most carefully loaded A-max load in new Lapua brass. If the wind cooperates we should have a blast.

FiveInADime
07-16-2016, 12:07 PM
I tried MANY different bullet weights, powders, charges, seating depths, etc. with the original barrel and it was just a piece of crap. The new barrel with the 8 twist LOVES 75 gr A-Max and has been one shot dead on at 800 yards. I've not found a chuck at that yardage yet and it looks like that season is coming to a screaming halt. Guess i will have to go to the desert and glass for long range jack rabbits.

Fiveinadime, a rock chuck is a cousin of wood chucks but about half the size.

It looks like tomorrow morning may be my chance to prove if the gun and I can hit a target at 1000 yards because a friend wants to head out on the desert and set up a steel target. I'll be happy to post here how that goes. My load will be my most carefully loaded A-max load in new Lapua brass. If the wind cooperates we should have a blast.
Bruh...

I wanna come visit you in Idaho. Seems kinda like Arizona with less heat. Lots of game, Mormons, and diverse landscapes from deserts to tall mountains.

Idaho
07-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Ah, my own little slice of heaven.

Ffndn
07-17-2016, 11:55 PM
I live in idaho also. Truly Gods country!

Idaho
07-18-2016, 10:25 PM
I live in idaho also. Truly Gods country! It is a great state indeed. Where are you?

Ffndn
07-19-2016, 04:01 AM
Im in se idaho

Ffndn
07-19-2016, 04:02 AM
Blackfoot

Idaho
07-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Blackfoot
We are close. I'm in Pocatello.