PDA

View Full Version : model 12 or model 10

savatage
07-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Guys I will be getting a model 12 fv with a 24" barrel`d action (new) . Also a model 10 fp -rifle- with a 20" barrel,rifle basix trigger also. (Its been shot 200 rnds )+- .My question is this, I want to start a build with one or the other.Both are .308. It will end up a heavy bench / prone rig .I will shoot the fp and see what I have,thinking I could get a choate tactical for the fv and shoot it also to get a feel for each. Both being new to me. I have always trusted your inputs on all my adventures in the savage realm. Please feel free to give me advice pro or con for each. Also the possibilties of swapping the parts from both to get me going. I have read many posts here an have some idea, but to ask and to be told specifics is better . Thanks Gary

foxx
07-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Assuming the model 10 comes with an Accustock, I would be more inclined to replace the Model 12fv's plastic stock first. Other than that, can't think of any reason to pick one over the other. Both fine rifles.

savatage
07-02-2016, 08:34 AM
The fp had a chassis stock on it.He sold it and then putt stock from m12 fv on that. Get them end of next week.Should be fun.

WV1951
07-02-2016, 07:48 PM
The 12fv should have a 26" barrel. At least, that is what the factory length is.

savatage
07-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Thanks for that info,I found a link at cabelas and it says 26". That makes me feel a hole lot better. Something else it comes with a non tapered bull brl. And weighs 8.75 lbs. Is that accurate ? Thanks gents.

RC20
07-02-2016, 10:52 PM
It should come with the Varmint barrel, in Savage speak that is a very heavy but not bull barrel .860 at the muzzle. It should be tapered.

Bull by definition has almost zero tape.

Its drilled for scopes, not for iron sights of any kind.

As noted the stock is ho hum, but I have shot some very good groups with it, though not consistently . Good barrel in my view.

I just got the replacement stock. Laminated, for max accuracy the composite with a bedding block in it is better but I doubt I can tell the difference and I do like the looks of the laminated (actually like wood, but Laminated is better and has thumbhole option with pllars so it should work well.

savatage
07-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Laminate, you got me thinking. I also have a bvss 22-250 ss bull brl/a great lam stock. whats the chance i can put this m12 fv actioned brl in that stock? i can pick up a lighter stock for the 250 and would be a good designated `yote gun for me here in northern michigan.

RC20
07-03-2016, 01:03 PM
I am note entirely sure as there are some screw spacing variations, I think it will .

If the screw spacing is right the 12FV would swap in with no issue clearance wise.

I went the other way as my 111 BTH originally came with a pencil barrel, had to work the channel out a fair amount to get the bull to fit (308 for now, 30-06 will get here eventually)

While not a real problem, I started with 100 grit and that just was not cutting it (pun intended). Went to 20 or 40 and that did the job. Worked down nicely. I had Formbys and it blended in beautifully with the existing finish. I am no wood worker, just taped the sand paper to a dowel and worked it down. Formbys is for treating stock my brother has done. In this case I just wanted to seal it, but it came out real nice. Mostly inside though the edges had to be worked back a bit as well.