PDA

View Full Version : Accustock - Positive response

MikePrice
07-23-2010, 08:11 AM
I read every post in the thread concerning the Accustock and for the most part it was a negative thread. I am curious, how many of you have a Hunting version (not a target model) Savage Accustocked rifle and are satisfied with it's performance and have decided to leave it alone?

bodywerks
07-23-2010, 08:25 AM
There's nothing wrong with the accustocks, in that they have aluminum pillar beds. Its just that the whole accuwedge thing is more trouble than its worth and can cause accuracy issues. That being said, none of it is bad enough to be the difference between a hit or miss on a deer at a couple hundred yards - more like the difference between 3/4 MOA and 1/2 MOA or better, and consistent groups...

MikePrice
07-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I have now called and poled the 6 hunters in our Hunting club (54 members) that I know have a new Savage Accustock in 30-06 (two hunters), 7mm mag, 300Win mag, 25-06 and 308. Five of them also own a Savage in the old stock. Everyone of them love their Accustocks and four of them bought the same caliber and cartridge as their older Savage to save money because they load for their rifles. All four say that their Accustocked Savage out shoots the older model. The other two told me that their New Savage with the Accustock shoots better than their older Savage. Four of the six have taken theirs out of the stock as a habit after hunting season and cleaned them as they have always done with their rifles in the past. All four have the same good accuracy they had before they took the rifle out of the stock.

I was expecting after reading the negative thread on the Accustock that at least one or two or possibly three would have had a negative or indifferent comment to make. I was surprised that all of them liked their Accustocks and would have no problem purchasing another one. I was really concerned after reading the other thread that I might have made a mistake in ordering myself a 116 FHSS in 300Win Mag. I know that my poling is very limited and small but three of the hunters I called are the kind that really tell it like it is and don't care what you think of their response.

It will be interesting to say the least when my rifle comes in which will be anytime now.

Uncle Mike
07-23-2010, 10:47 AM
We have sold quite a few Accustocks, and with the exception of two customers, all have said the accuracy has been excellent, or better than the older stocks.

Now, one has to ask if that is indeed the fact, or if it is the 'I bought this, and it is the best' attitude that some people will take on a newly purchased product.

The units we have set up for our customers have all shot well, on our 100y range, with factory ammo, all the Accustocked models have at the very least, shot into 3/4".

That said, I have a personal Accuatocked rifle that is 1 for 1 in giving me fits at the range, so we'll continue to shoot this thing, with and without the 'wedge' and see IF that is the culprit.

Blue Avenger
07-23-2010, 10:51 AM
My guess is on average a stock rifle will shoot better or Savage would not have gone through the trouble and expense of making the stock.

bodywerks
07-23-2010, 11:14 AM
what 'older stocks' are we talking about? my last savage with a savage stock was an all plastic stock. I could have clamped my barreled action to a 2x4 and got better accuracy. Gotta know what we are comparing the accustocks to...
No way the accustock outperforms a properly glass-bedded quality stock.

MikePrice
07-23-2010, 11:25 AM
The rifles were pillar bedded Savages that these were compared to, I am sorry I took it for granted that you knew what I was talking about the rifles they had were pillar bedded synthetic stocks.

bodywerks
07-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Any skim bedding work done to them, or just steel action bolted to aluminum pillar? The Accustock can have an advantage over a plain pillar bedding when it is functioning properly, but a properly bedded pillar on a standard stock should shoot every bit as well as an accustock, if not better.
After removing the wedge in favor of a tried and trued bedding job, I shot my best 5-shot group to date:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/best308group.jpg
that, after doing this - could be a coincidence, but i never shot a group like that before:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/bedding1.jpg