PDA

View Full Version : Savage barrel with no nut?

travistodd1
06-28-2016, 04:48 AM
I just purchased a custom un-fired takeoff barrel for a Savage. It was mounted and the person who bought the rifle took it off to re-chamber in a different caliber before it was ever shot.

What I had not noticed prior to purchase was the fact the barrel was a barrel nut delete type. It will come with the recoil lug. I don't know that I mind it being a barrel nut delete but how in the world do I install and set head space? Did I pick up a problem child here?

Robinhood
06-28-2016, 06:26 AM
To keep the barrel in its current configuration, place sized case in the chamber and measure for correct protrusion. .130 ish. If acceptable, record these 2 dimensions. Measure from the case head to the shoulder on the barrel(dimension 1). Now cock your action and measure the distance from the face of the recoil lug to the bolt face(dimension 2). Dimension 1 should be a few thousandths under/smaller than dimension 2. If dimension one is larger/longer you will need to get a thicker recoil lug and have the shoulder machined back to achieve head space. If it is shorter you will need to have the barrel shoulder machined back to achieve head space.

Or have someone turn the major diameter of the barrel down to your actions thread dimensions and pick up the threads and use the barrel nut.

Or sell it to someone who wants to deal with it.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-28-2016, 09:12 AM
That "nutless" barrel just took away the advantage of the Savage system. Being able to swap barrels and set headspace WITHOUT dealing with a gunsmith is the best part of the Savage action. If "that barrel" can be screwed into the action and ends up with a good headspace, you're good to go OR you start dealing with the gunsmith that has to turn the shoulder of the barrel to get the proper specs for headspace. Could be close enough that a different thickness recoil lug MAY get you in the ballpark. Nutless?? COOL!! BUT, not as easy as the original nut system.
Like Robinhood said, deal with it OR sell it to someone that does.

travistodd1
06-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Kind of regretting th purchase but is what it is. I don't tend to switch things around once built so once set up it should be good to go. Honestly, I don't even know if it has been finish chambered yet or just short chambered. Will make a cool gun when it's done I hope.

RC20
06-28-2016, 12:31 PM
It probably possible to do a bit of shimming using aluminum can to set head space as well.

Not the bet or most desirable but possible salvage the situation. Of course you have to figure out what you have first.

I hope it works out. I did not know they had nutless as well. Nut free and not so proud?
One reason I paid a bit more for my donor was it had a segmented nut, not the smooth nut. Each bit added up.

One of the two major reasons (and the biggest one) I got into the Savages in the first place as the ability to do your own barrel changes.

Worst case a poor barrel and I can correct that and would likely get an aftermarket anyway (though I do wish Savage would sell barrels, they seem to make good ones for the most part)

blvedere
06-29-2016, 12:41 AM
Would it be possible to add more thread length to the barrel and use a nut?

Robinhood
06-29-2016, 01:10 AM
It probably possible to do a bit of shimming using aluminum can to set head space as well.

You are about to loose your membership to the brotherhood. That will be points against your man card so be careful.

travistodd1
06-29-2016, 01:43 AM
Now that's funny...

yobuck
06-29-2016, 08:55 AM
I just purchased a custom un-fired takeoff barrel for a Savage. It was mounted and the person who bought the rifle took it off to re-chamber in a different caliber before it was ever shot.

What I had not noticed prior to purchase was the fact the barrel was a barrel nut delete type. It will come with the recoil lug. I don't know that I mind it being a barrel nut delete but how in the world do I install and set head space? Did I pick up a problem child here?

You don't have a problem at this point, but you could have a very serious one if that barrel isn't installed properly.
I have Savage action guns without the nut and frankly prefer that for asthetic reasons. But then I'm not a basement gunsmith either.
My suggestion would be to either sell the barrel, or take it to a qualified gunsmith for proper installation.
You could discuss having the barrel set up for the nut, so that you might swap it yourself in the future.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-29-2016, 09:47 AM
If you're a "one time Guy", take the rig to a GOOD Gunsmith and have it set up the "proper" way and be done with it. That way you'll be able to at least shoot it. Look at as a learning experience. Nutless barrels have been around for a long while. Think Remington. Only problem with that is the DIY just went out the window.
And if you "even consider" using aluminum can shims to set the headspace, you need to get into a different hobby!!

travistodd1
06-29-2016, 11:06 AM
I would never use aluminum cans or do anything of the sort. I do prefer my Savages for the fact I could always do the work myself. That being said, if I must take it to a smith I will. I can't see them charging a fortune to perform the work. I am very anal retentive when it comes to working on things or having work done. I may have additional threads installed... Just don't know at this point...

RC20
06-29-2016, 01:18 PM
You are about to loose your membership to the brotherhood. That will be points against your man card so be careful.

I plead guiltily of growing up in places where we had to make do. Not something I would (gasp) do unless forced to.

Robinhood
06-29-2016, 05:20 PM
If you do the math and find you can achieve head space by making your recoil lug thinner let me know. I will do do the machine work to help out.

travistodd1
06-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Thank you Robinhood!