PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: B Mag/Boyds Stock question

Cmonsta
06-27-2016, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry if this is a repeat but while scrolling I did not see it. Long story short I bought a Boyds Pro Varmint for my B Mag and took it to a local smith to glass bed it. He said he had to modify the stock to even get it to fit in the first place, and in the process he cracked the stock. He paid most of the money back (minus shipping)and said good luck lol. I want to put a new stock on this rifle. And I really like Boyds, especially the Pro Varmint. But if he cracked it working on it I know I can not trust myself to make any changes. Are the other models (like thumb hole stocks) offering a better fit then the Pro Varmint? Or will I likely have to modify no matter what Boyds I get? Is there any other companies making stocks for B Mag? I didn't see any in my quick search. Thank you in advance for your time.

John

SavRimfire
06-27-2016, 08:53 PM
I have a Pro Varmint on my HB SS Bmag and it fit just fine, even before I had it bed.

Where did the stock crack? Just taking a stab in the dark here but I'll bet he didn't take the escutcheon pillars out of the old stock and put them in the new stock before he tightened it down.

Bmags are a little difficult to bed in a conventional manner. Most just bed the first few inches of the barrel and call it good. I guess that type of bedding works ok for them.

Cmonsta
06-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Thank you for the reply! He actually cracked mine on the left side by the receiver. He said he was trying to widen the mag well and was chipping think layer off when it cracked He said it would not fit without doing that, along with a handful of other places he had to widen. Mine is the standard barrel not HB, not sure how much different the action/mag area of the 2 would be.

Lonewulf
06-27-2016, 10:07 PM
no difference that I can see in the actions or my 5 mags would not fit both :)
I had no problem getting a classic stock to fit my sporter barrel and also bought a featherweight thumbhole for a sporter and opened the barrel channel up myself for my Stainless HB because they did not have a stock for the HB at that time and I did not want to wait. no bedding on that one and at 200 it hits a quarter, I'm happy

Cmonsta
06-28-2016, 09:01 PM
That's great news! Thank you for the reply