PDA

View Full Version : Just noticed Savage put the wrong barrel on my rifle!

Txhillbilly
06-24-2016, 12:52 AM
I bought a 10 FCP 6+ years ago and just noticed it has a 26" barrel instead of a 24" barrel. Most of my rifles have 26" barrels,but I never noticed this barrel being the same length. The only reason I measured it was I'm taking several barrels / barreled actions to my machinist tomorrow to get threaded for my suppressors.
I took the barreled action out of the stock and set it on the bench,then laid a couple of new 26" Shilen barrels next to it. I had to look twice,and then actually measure the Savage barrel. Yep,it's 26" long.
Oh well,It's fixing to be a 20" barrel since I don't use 308's for my long range work anymore.

I think Savage needs to pay more attention to what they are shipping out the door. This just shows several screw ups on one rifle-The barrel got stamped wrong-Then was installed by someone that should've noticed it was a longer barrel-Then the QC dept missed it. I'm not *****ing about the rifle,it has always shot excellent,but stuff like this shouldn't happen as often as it does.

sharpshooter
06-24-2016, 01:40 AM
Barrels don't get stamped until they are installed on a action and proof tested. You have the correct barrel, the catalog is wrong.

Txhillbilly
06-24-2016, 09:59 AM
The 2010 series Model 10 FCP came with a 24" barrel not a 26". I know the barrels are stamped after they are assembled on the action.
Only the Model 12's were produced with 26" barrels,and the 11 / 111 Long Range Hunters weren't being made yet.

Robinhood
06-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Do you have the K,HS or the McMillan?

RC20
06-24-2016, 01:07 PM
My 12FV was shooting really odd to start with, silly me, I wanted to shoot so bad I didn't do a go through. Front action screw was loose.

Project gun, yep went through it, front action screw was loose. Sure it could have been the original owner but looked like bought and little used.

Barrel shot ok for hunting but was sure not a sub 1 MOA barrel with careful cool down. Oddly the Muzzle Wear (I have the tools) as like 2.5, sort of ok, but on a new gun todays quality I would expect 1.5 or less (and the 12FV is). It certainly was not shot that much.

So it goes, overall its not something I would not buy one over, but it has you scratching your head a bit with very well done and then the lapses.

Txhillbilly
06-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Do you have the K,HS or the McMillan?

This rifle was a Cabelas exclusive that came with the Choate tactical stock from Savage. The label on the box even states 24" barrel.
I just found it odd to have a 26" matte finish varmint contour barrel when in 2010 only the Model 12 had 26" barrels,and all Model 12 barrels are either stainless or have a gloss blued finish. I had a 12 FLV 308,and it was gloss blued barrel/action,and my old 12 FLVSS 223 has a blued action with a fluted stainless barrel.

RC20
06-24-2016, 08:25 PM
It is interesting. You may have a collectors item?

Zero333
06-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Measure from the bolt face to the crown with a cleaning rod, then you can 100% be sure what the actual length of it is. My 24" fcpk looks like a 26" when I put a 26" shilen besides it (not counting the muzzle brake).