PDA

View Full Version : What does it cost to change calibers???

Pastprime
06-20-2016, 06:50 PM
I want an AXIS in .223 and here are my choices as of now: I can buy a used AXIS with a Sightron 4-12X AO scopefor $400.00 in 30-06 or a new AXIS in .223 which is the caliber I want for $319.00 OTD but I'd have to add a scope. I don't know what the conversion cost from 30-06 to .223 would be so which is the better way to go?

LHitchcox
06-20-2016, 07:35 PM
To go from .30-06 to .223 you will need a barrel at @$75-$300, a magazine at @ $40+, .378 bolt head @ $25, and a new trigger guard which I don't have a price for. That is assuming you have the tools necessary to do the conversion. If not, you are in for about another $75-$100. Personally, I would look for an Axis II package and then upgrade the scope later.

DrThunder88
06-21-2016, 01:05 AM
Go with the new. It seems likely that the scope is a Sightron S1, which may be fine but isn't going to be worth anywhere near as much used as it is new.

Now, if you're looking for a bench, varmint, or precision gun, I'm going to muddy the waters with another option. If you're anywhere near a Cabelas (assuming they all run the same promotions), the Savage 12FV is still on sale for $350 until the end of June, which also happens to coincide with the $100 rebate. What ends up being a $250 rifle is probably the best deal on a gun anywhere, and one of the chamberings for 12FV is .223 Remington. The only thing you'll be giving up compared to an Axis is the detachable magazine.

If you're set on an Axis, I can dig it. I'm a dyed in the wool Axis fan myself, but the 12FV has recently worked its way into my heart.

Mozella
06-21-2016, 05:21 AM
Go with the new. It seems likely that the scope is a Sightron S1, which may be fine but isn't going to be worth anywhere near as much used as it is new.

Now, if you're looking for a bench, varmint, or precision gun, I'm going to muddy the waters with another option. If you're anywhere near a Cabelas (assuming they all run the same promotions), the Savage 12FV is still on sale for $350 until the end of June, which also happens to coincide with the $100 rebate. What ends up being a $250 rifle is probably the best deal on a gun anywhere, and one of the chamberings for 12FV is .223 Remington. The only thing you'll be giving up compared to an Axis is the detachable magazine.

If you're set on an Axis, I can dig it. I'm a dyed in the wool Axis fan myself, but the 12FV has recently worked its way into my heart.

This is the best advice. Go for the 12FV and don't look back.

Pastprime
06-21-2016, 03:14 PM
I appreciate the advice. Not sure where the nearest cabelas is but I'll find out. That would be a great price for a model 12.