PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Metal / Magazine Problem

travistodd1
06-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Hello, I have been working on a custom build and ran in to a problem. Its based on a center-feed short action. The rifle is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with a very heavy stainless barrel from Apache. It has an HS Precision stock which I fitted with bottom metal from Atlasworx. The bottom metal is supposed to use the AICS type magazine. I ordered one of the new Magpul and that's where the problem began. The magazine will not seat in the bottom metal. If I remove the action it seats just fine.

It needs to drop in about 1/4 inch to work. I was looking at whether or not I should shave some off the magazine or the bottom of the action. With the magazine in, I can start to tighten down the rear action screw just enough to see the bold face will not clear the lips of the magazine.

My question is has anyone ran in to this before? If so, is this a magazine or bottom metal problem?

Thanks guys.

Hotolds442
06-20-2016, 08:20 PM
You just need to open up the feed lips so that the bolt will pass through. Right now your bolt is trying to travel over the top of the magazine due to lack of clearance.
Go slowly and test fit often.

travistodd1
06-20-2016, 08:40 PM
I ended up working on that a bit. I also ended up having to put spacers between the bottom metal and the bottom of the bedding block to get it to seat. Im thinking about ordering a metal magazine to see if it fits better from the start. I just need to go get some ammo to make sure its going to feed correctly now...

Robinhood
06-20-2016, 08:45 PM
I also ended up having to put spacers between the bottom metal and the bottom of the bedding block to get it to seat.

The inlet is wrong. The spacers corrected most of it. It's what you got.

travistodd1
06-20-2016, 08:51 PM
I didn't add any depth when I opened it up for the bottom metal. I guess that's just how it came. Seems to be pretty good now... At least on paper...

Zero333
06-21-2016, 06:01 AM
Those magpul aics style mags can be like that with certain bottom metals.

Works good in a Accurate mag bottom metal but doesn't fit in my MDT HS3 bottom metal, front of the feed lips need trimming back a little. No big deal.

On the other hand, those Magpul aics mags feed very smoothly.