PDA

View Full Version : Bell & Carlson Medalist not fitting

shanny28757
06-20-2016, 12:49 PM
I just ordered a new Bell & Carlson Medalist stock for my 110 30-06. Yesterday I tried to install the action/barrel onto the new stock but I'm having an issue. If I install with the bolt removed then add the bolt, it will only close half way. If I install with a closed bolt (double checked for empty barrel and magazine) I can operate the bolt but the forward most screw is about 3/4 of a turn lose. If I tighten the screw, I can either not open the bolt (if in the closed position) or close it (if in the open position).

I've tried to run the bolt and disassemble to see if I find any rub marks but there is nothing visible. Aside from the area around the handle/tang, I can't imagine anywhere else it would be binding. Seems like the barrel needs to be shimmed slightly - but of course that defeats the purpose of a full length aluminum bedding block.

Anyone run into this issue or have any potential ideas for me?

drybean
06-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Shorten the screw

jim_k
06-20-2016, 01:05 PM
It sounds like the front action screw needs to be filed down enough to permit the bolt lugs to rotate past it (above it). Be aware that when you have done the filing, and go to the range, there is a chance that the bolt will still not close, due to the pressure of the cartridge on the bolt face changing the geometry slightly. If that occurs, it just means that the action screw needs to be filed a bit more. Make sure you still have 3-4 full turns of grip on the front action screw. If you damage the screw, you can order a new set of action screws from Brownell's. One last hint: if you do not already know, to properly install a right-hand threaded screw, push down slightly on it, and turn it first to the left until you feel the screw threads "click" as they align with the threads on the action. Then start turning to the right. The underlying cause of the issue (which is just minor fitment, if I am analyzing it correctly) may be a slightly smaller height of the aluminum block in the new stock, compared to the previous stock that the action was sitting in. No shims, please.

FW Conch
06-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Before You go cutting on the screw, try stacking 1/4" flat washers in the screw hole to take up the extra. You can reach in the action with Your little finger and feel if the screw is coming up far enough to hit the bolt.

RC20
06-20-2016, 02:44 PM
If you go to filing the screw, put a nut on it first. That way it cleans up the threads when you take it off. Use the washers and shims to get a close idea of thickness's needed.

Assume that screws are not mixed up, short screw up front and long screw in the back?