PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #55

Bigstone65
06-20-2016, 09:07 AM
I'm new to this forum and to reloading. I have an older #55 Lyman powder thrower. The reservoir spins on the unit but I can't remove it. How do you remove it. I would like to put one reservoir on another 55 that I have

yobuck
06-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Bill can tell you about lyman 55 measures. Also you could call Neil Jones in PA near Pittsburg.
As I recall there were modifactions that allowed for switching the resevour.

BillPa
06-20-2016, 12:14 PM
On the side opposite the handle you'll see this screw and washer. When you remove both all the guts will slide out toward the handle side.
http://oi64.tinypic.com/256z9xu.jpg

Oh BTW, the older ones used a screw in reservoir, the new it snaps in. The old screw in type is discontinued but the the new type can be installed by heating it with a hair dryer then turned in.

Bill

bc83
06-20-2016, 12:54 PM
One of the best measures made

Bigstone65
06-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Bill
The reservoir just spins.It will not unscrew. Is there a special way to remove those? I found threads that say to heat up the new ones that just snap in. If I have one that is just snapped in how would I remove it.

BillPa
06-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Bill
The reservoir just spins.It will not unscrew. Is there a special way to remove those?

No clue, I never tried to remove one or had a reason to. If you look at the new style they have a groove that snaps over a ring in the body. I guess you could try just rip'n it out. If were mine I'd just spring for another reservoir, six bucks direct from Lyman.

Bill