PDA

View Full Version : Sightron 20x42 mmd fixed power any reviews?

Heavies
07-22-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm on a tight budget right now and I need a new scope for my target rifle. I am considering the Sightron fixed power 20x42 siii with the modified mil reticule.
http://www.sightron.com/index.php?ac...at_id=6&id=153

Anyone out there have this particular scope and have any comparisons to say a Leupold mkiv optically? Any cons that have been encountered?

I have seen some reviews that this scope is as bright, if not brighter, than the Leupold.
Furthermore, I can't seem to find any cons to this or any other sightron optic.
I will be using this scope for 300-600 f-class.
Thank you for your input.
B

Heavies
07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
No body tried one of these yet?

07-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Sorry, don't have or know any thing about that model, but I do have the SIII 8-32X56 and heard the same thing about being in the same class or better than the MK 4. I think that is complete BS. I have shot 2 MK4s quite a bit, and the SIII is definately not an equal.

Heavies
07-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info.
With your scope set at the same magnification as the mk4 how does it compare?(say set at 20x)
Is it close or is there no comparison at all?

07-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, each person "sees" things differently, so it is hard to compare. I think there is a definate difference, but it isn't huge. For the price, the Sightron is way better than the leupolds in that range. The only scopes I have found to be better than the MK4 are IOR and Nightforce. I have not used S&B or US optics or some others.

Heavies
07-25-2010, 05:30 AM
For the price I wasn't too impressed with the nightforce compared to the mk iv.
The nightforce does have more practical reticals tho, IMHO.
Well I picked up the siii and it's on it's way. Then I can compare myself.
Thanks
B

07-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Ha Ha, see what I mean about each person seeing thing differently? I did some shooting side by side with my IOR and a friends Mk4 at 900 yds on an overcast day. The IOR was easily better(of course being mine may cause some of that). Then I shot my IOR next to my NF on an overcast misting day, and was surprised that the NF was noticably better than the IOR.

McKinneyMike
07-25-2010, 06:16 PM
The SIII are great scopes. They only thing that I wish is that they would come out with some ranging reticles with hash marks in stead of Mil-Dot. I am just not a dot fan.

Heavies
07-25-2010, 07:42 PM
They only thing that I wish is that they would come out with some ranging reticles with hash marks in stead of Mil-Dot. I am just not a dot fan.

The modified mil dot on the new fixed power siii's have .5 mil hash marks. That's what I liked about them, that was one of the factors in choosing the 20x42. I figured on my other scopes I usually leave them on one setting any way and 20x seems to be a nice magnification for 600. It does have regular dots too tho.

McKinneyMike
07-26-2010, 05:06 AM
Wonder why they do not offer these on the variable powered scopes?

Heavies
07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Wonder why they do not offer these on the variable powered scopes?

I know right. I would like to have had a variable but I just had to have that reticle.

It would be nice if they offered mil/mil and moa/moa reticals and knobs as well.
Ahh, but if they did that then thier prices probably would get silly too.

I've read someplace that they use the same glass as nightforce. Any one else know about that?

McKinneyMike
07-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Not sure about that, but their glass is first class IMO.

07-26-2010, 11:26 PM
If they use the same glass it must be NF rejects. My NF is easily more clear than my SIII.

McKinneyMike
07-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Well I have looked thru quite a few 5.5-22X50 NXS scopes and can not say that myself. I do not see that the NF glass is in the class of IOR, Swarovski, Kahles or other high end scopes. Damned fine optics for sure, but way better.......

07-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Again, it varies from person to person, scope to scope, I guess. My NF has proven to me be better than my IOR in poor light and bad weather.

Heavies
08-02-2010, 05:06 AM
Well here we go.
I took my new Siii 20x42 out this weekend and shot it side by side with my brother's mkiv leupold. With the leupold set at 20x the siii was just slightly darker but seemed to be just as crisp. It was kind of hard to get the focus just right at 100yrds but further out at 200 and 300 the siii picture seemed to be easier to focus right. The turrets are kind of easy to turn but the clicks are very crisp. I got zeroed up at 100 then dialed up for a steel plate at 200, banged that a couple times, next dialed in 300 hit that plate a few times, then back to 100 yrd zero right on the money.
Mil dots with the half hash marks looked clean. I used them to hold off at 200 and 300 and they seemed to be accurate.
All in all I didn't get to do too much testing today though.
Is it worth the money? I'm not sure yet. I want to use it in our next f-class outing to make up my mind.
B

rchouser
08-03-2010, 04:11 PM
I shoot a sightron siii 6x24 lr md. I am very pleased with it. I never have compared it to anything side by side. I use the one scope on 4 guns with 20 moa rails on each of the 4 guns. I shoot 600 and 1000 with it with no complaints. This is easily the best scope I have ever owned. I am sure there are better, but, this one does all that I can do. If I miss, it is not the scope. I feel it was good value for the money. (Note: I have been shooting for 50 years, so, I have had more than a few scopes). This is my long range scope and I love it.
my 2 cents on Sightron III... good value for the money.
rc

Heavies
08-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Last update..

I took the Sightron SIII 20x42 fixed power out yesterday to a practice match and got to shoot at 200, 500, 600 yards.
I can say that I was impressed by this little scope.

I did not get a chance to rezero after mounting the scope to my rifle, and with a quick bore sight, I was able to get on the X ring in three rounds. The 1/4 moa clicks were very precise. I then proceeded to murder the spotter at that distance. I could see it very easily and had no trouble knocking it through the target board. At 500 X ring and spotter was still very clear and had no trouble holding many X's and ten's. 600 was just as clear, but the mirage started picking up and the wind started acting squirly. (gotta work on my wind skills).
Even though the turrets are quite easy to turn, I did not have any problems with it changing during movements to different yard lines. I just tossed the rifle in my drag bag and humped to the next firing point. I think for quick moving tactical matches the turrets may pose a problem with getting bumped.
The half mil hash marks were great help in holding off with switches in the wind.
Well I have to say I think this scope for the price was worth it! It's not quite as bright as the MKiv at 20x, but it cost half as much. In my book it give you a good bang for your buck. :D