PDA

View Full Version : Loose pillar

chetc
06-19-2016, 05:31 PM
gun was shooting good yesterday, took my new model 12 FV from Cabelas and adjusted the trigger, and when i loosened the front screw the pillar turned and then the screw came loose, any ideas how to remedy this loose pillar. wonder if this had anything to do with lousy groups today. my same load i shot yesterday was around 1/2" or so today it was like 2 inches.

Chet

CrAzYLoCaL
06-19-2016, 05:45 PM
You should be all good. The pillar won't be loose when you tighten back down the action screws. But, if the whole action/barrel is moving back and forth/side to side in the stock after you have torqued the bolts down... then you got a problem, but it's nothing that a little bedding job cannot take care of. JB Weld works wonders.

Robinhood
06-19-2016, 07:19 PM
If the pillar ever turns or moves it is not attached to the stock. You can "capture it between the screw head and the action but that is worthless if it is loose in the stock. Fix it or have it fixed with one of good quality.

chetc
06-19-2016, 07:45 PM
well i took the gun apart, i did notice that when i got it a few weeks ago when i torqued the screws there was some cushioning effect, after a few times that i removed the stock to make trigger adj, i noticed especially the front screw seemed to tighten up solid, lost that cushioning feeling when tightening the screws, so i made a shim to go in the bedding area about .006 thick, seems like it got a grip now when i tighten the screw. going to get a new stock shortly, something with a bedding block in the stock. if there are any around

Chet