PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 anyone?

Texas Solo
06-18-2016, 06:53 PM
I keep getting prompts telling me I should/have to, upgrade to Windows 10.
I'm a conservative....I hate change. I'm comfortable with my Windows 7.
So if push comes to shove, how is Windows 10? I remember seeing a thread awhile back bashing it pretty good.

Robinhood
06-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Turn off windows update in services.

Do a google on "Disable Windows 10 update notification.
Here is an example.
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/remove-annoying-windows-10-upgrade-notification/

If you do not turn off updates and turn off update notifications it will install an update that will render windows 7 useless. Thats my story anyway.

I have changed to ubuntu to get away from Windows issues. Less problems but limited to open source software.

Balljoint
06-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Had to go to Win 10 as i got a new Computer!!!

Rosco
06-18-2016, 10:40 PM
It's not to awful, I remember Vista!! Could be worse.

rjtfroggy
06-19-2016, 05:40 AM
What ever you do, do not turn off the reminder with the little red X in upper right corner. I did and when upgrades came due the computer automaticly updated 10.
Then I saw an article in the paper questioning Microsoft about why this happens, NO ANSWER.
Now the computer doesn't recognize the printer and will not open any of my office program. So I am waiting for my computer guy to come over to redo all the setting or installs to fix all the problems.
Next time I buy a MAC.

DocWyatt2016
06-19-2016, 09:23 AM
I went to Windows 10 when I learned Microsoft was no longer going to support Vista which worked well for me. Heard all kinds of problems with trying to download it so went with new laptop with it already installed. Now after about 6 months of using it , its OK . If you do go to Windows 10, I suggest you also get Windows 10 All in One for Dummies as the software does take some getting used to and the book helps out quite a bit.

yobuck
06-19-2016, 09:58 AM
I doubt there would be any here dumber than me on computers.
My 7 year old HP laptop with Vista totally failed about 3 months ago.
I went to the local Best Buy and bought a new lap top the same day
with windows 10. Ive only been back talking to the geeks 2 times so far
and my grandkids have helped about the same amount.
But I agree with Froggy, it would have been a good time to make a switch to the Mac system.
The Apple stores offer reconditioned units fully warrented for some very good prices.

Damon555
06-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Do not put windows 10 on your computer! It is horrible compared to 7.....This advice is coming from a guy who majored in computer programming in college.

scooterf79
06-19-2016, 02:01 PM
I don't mind windows 10, momma got me a new laptop for Christmas and it came with it. Seems to boot up faster than any of the previous versions of Windows. WinXP was my favorite, ME, Vista, and 8 we won't discuss. Win7, I like it quite well. I think win 10 seems pretty decent so far. Now mind you, I've not done alot with it, my really in depth pc stuff days are past but I like win10. Mac is definitely not a bad choice, especially with all the open source stuff we can use now....I use alot of it on my Windows PCs
Scooter

MRCHIRO
06-19-2016, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't touch win 10 with a stick... For now that is... I was still using windows xp when everyone was using vista, win7, win8... I just switched to win7 couple years ago and it's solid. What I do is do a fresh install with all my settings and programs set how I want it. Do a sp1 update then turn off all updates - you don't know how updates will mess up a good system. Then do a backup of it. If anything goes wrong down the YEARS - it only takes 20 minutes to restore that backup and i'm ready to rock! All my data is backed up (win 7 user folder minus the appdata folder (this folder can be at least 15-35gigs of CRAP) via a sync program.

Point being... Win10 is way too too new - let it ride out like win8 and see if it survives. BTW - I only use apple hardware with a windows install. Best of luck!

DanSavage
06-20-2016, 10:27 PM
I still am having great luck with XP lol,, it's been telling me there won't be anymore updates for it but it still works great. This phone is pretty miserable though.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

psharon97
06-21-2016, 08:43 AM
There's nothing wrong with Windows 10, I use it at work and for personal use. Your hand will be forced in 2020, but that's if your computer lasts that long.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

bedlamite
06-22-2016, 07:22 PM
10 is OK, if you already have 8 I'd upgrade to 10. 7 is better than 10, If you have 7 I'd install GWX control panel to to get rid of the 10 upgrade notices.

5spd
06-23-2016, 09:31 PM
I held out till 2 weeks ago. I'm not excited about it, but its working and I have to get used to their layouts.
You will have to go into settings and places to shut off tracking, pop up junk etc etc...I'm still figuring it out.