PDA

View Full Version : Review Model 12VF 12 FV in .223

triehl27
06-18-2016, 04:45 PM
Just a very short review so far on my new Model 12FV from Cabelas.

PRICE: $349 on sale with a $100 rebate from Savage. total $249 when the rebate comes back.
REBATE: My rebate went in fine, i did the prequalify and then cut the white label off, and added it to the Savage rebate coupon and rebate slip from Cabelas.

SPECS: You can look them up, but a few points that seem to keep coming up:
1. 1:9 twist rate, 26" heavy varmint barrel
2. Standard Silver Blade Accu Trigger with the TARGET Sear Spring.
3. pull weight was 2.8# from the factory, simple turn down with included tool, and I am at 1.2#'s
4. Stock, plastic, BUT it has an additional spot for a second sling stud. Ordered a second stud to add before I Rockite the forend.
5. Yes the stock is more sturdy then a Axis stock, BUT it's still plastic and could use a Rockite fill in the forend.
6. If you don't know what Rockite is simply search it here on the site, in short it's a concrete filler that you can fill the front and rear of the stock with to add stiffening.

CONS:
its a full 26" barrel and needs a large case to fit in.
My front scope mount screw hole was poorly tapped and had to be cleaned out and smoothed by running the screw in alone several times before mounting the scope mount.

PROS
This thing is accurate!!! although everything I shot was in the 50-55gr range of bullets.
1/4MOA during breakin with factory ammo.
1/2MOA with bulk reload ammo.

Once I have it rockited and now that the trigger is turned down I expect that or better accuracy.

It's accurate enough at 100yds, that I got bored with 1" target dots, and took a bag of DUM DUM pops out so I could see them pop. (Oh side benefit of shooting lollipops? the range smells great afterwards!)

MagnumSecurity
06-18-2016, 08:40 PM
Thanks for posting. I bought one in 223 and one in 308. What factory ammo did you use to get the 1/4 MOA groups? I have various 223 ammo from a previous rifle I had and sold. My plan was to change the stock to a thumbhole with DBM.