PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Savage B Mag Look before you leap?

Ronso
06-17-2016, 10:56 AM
After shooting some friend's Savages (not B Mags), I bought a package at the local Cabela's that included a Burris 4-12 x 40 scope and a blued fluted heavy barrel. Then I started to read this forum.
Obviously, I should have done it the other way around given the number of complaints I've read on this forum.
All I have done so far is borrow my friends bronze brush (needs replacing) and cleaning rod to thoroughly clean the barrel before the first shoot. It was surprisingly cruddy. Next, I tried loading the included mag and the extra one I bought.
Just as many have said, they don't load easy, certainly not like Ruger's rotary mags. The trick seems to be to push a new cartridge in at a slightly oblique angle (or help rotate the internals with a finger a bit) in order to load from round 3 on. Loaded one mag with American Eagle 20gr and the other with Winchester 25 gr. Same story.
Next, I began to cycle the bolt, pulling back smartly to eject. On both mags I had several failures to feed and failures to eject. Good first impression. And yes, the stock is crap!
I have new brushes, cleaning rod, etc. on order from Brownells so the gun is pristine before the first range trip, and so I can break it in properly (or have the barrel lapped) and clean after I shoot.
With all of the bad press this thing gets, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just return the ****ed thing to Cabelas and exchange for a Ruger 77/17.
After all, I haven't shot it but have cleaned it somewhat, One thing's for sure.... If I have to buy a new stock, have it put on properly, get a new trigger, new barrel, I'm getting rid of this thing and will buy a gun that works.
Typed in my serial number at Savages website to see when the gun was made. Link doesn't work. Asked a question of Customer Service 2 days ago about how the bolt seems loose. Still no response. Had to call.
I think my post title says it all.

Prarie dog shooter
06-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Sounds rough. I've had some issues with my a17 and a22mag. Misfiring , misfeeding , not extracting ect. So far savage is trying to do right by replacing parts and polishing . But I will update further as soon as my a22 gets back from them.

claybird
06-18-2016, 02:50 PM
my bmag wom't eject the bullet after firing. i gave up after two rounds and forgot about it!
HTH

Hotolds442
06-18-2016, 03:45 PM
my bmag wom't eject the bullet after firing. i gave up after two rounds and forgot about it!
HTH
Did you try cleaning the chamber? That's usually the cause of rimfire weapons fte. And if you've already fired the cartridge, the bullet ejected out the other end of the barrel........

Prarie dog shooter
06-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Claybird, I hope you got your bmag sorted out. Mine is just getting better every time I fire it.

fr3db3ar
06-24-2016, 04:52 PM
I don't have any of your ejecting issues. Mine easily shoots MOA @200 with the 25gr. As far as a feeding issue I had one mag that did that and Savage sent me another. I'm still in the plastic stock with zero issues. I learned to use my left thumb to push down on the round I'm trying to load. It makes it a lot easier.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

SavRimfire
06-25-2016, 01:29 PM
Sure would be great and solve a lot of frustration, with regard to how big of a PITA the factory Bmag magazines are to load, if Butler Creek came out with a new magazine for the Bmag like they have for the A17. I'm not greedy so I'd be thrilled with a 15 round magazine, instead of a 25'er like they have for the A17.

The Bmag, overall, may not be the rifle we wished it had been but with a little tuning they usually can be made to shoot pretty darn good and they won't break the bank on the initial purchase.