PDA

View Full Version : Stevens200 switch questions

Con
07-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Guys,
A few questions before I pull my 243Win barrel off and fit another Stevens take-off barrel in 308Win.

Firstly ... is it recommended that some anti-seize type material be used on the barrel threads?

Secondly ... I have a take-off Sako barrel chambered to 375H&H, which I wish to re-use but chambered to 375/08. I've had a Rem 375H&H barrel re-chambered to 375/08 before and fitted to a Rem700 action ... but these headspace on a barrel shoulder and don't use a barrel nut.

Can take-off barrels from other makers be re-threaded to allow use on my Stevens whilst retaining the factory barrel nut, or will it work with some but not others? I'm keen to retain the nut (unmodified) for headspacing rather than use a barrel shoulder.
Cheers...
Con

hailstone
07-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Believe the thread diameters are different for Remington and Savage. Would require changing the barrel contour and possibly cutting off some length at the chamber if Remingtons thread diameter is smaller than Savages.

Con
07-22-2010, 07:49 PM
hailstone,
Yep ... that's beyond question. The factory threaded portion has to come off anyway to allow a rechambering to 375/08. On the Rem700 action/barrel I had done, original threaded portion was removed, then recut and the headspace set using the conventional cutting of a shoulder to face it off.

Most actions use a barrel with shank about 1.2" in diameter, Savage threads are about 1" diameter so they can be recut I suppose. Anyone know what length of the Savage barrel is threaded? I suppose if there's enough meat in the barrel shank to take the full length of thread and allow minimum safe steel around teh chamber ... then the barrel nut can be utilised?

Just trying to think this problem out aloud.
Cheers...
Con