PDA

View Full Version : New barrel trouble

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Robinhood
06-24-2016, 09:00 AM
When you are getting close to depth with your finish reamer, you will inspect protrusion with the gauge. A competent smith who cares about quality will check to see if the chamber is oversize by "wiggling" the gauge. a few thousandths oversize is detectable. (It is also a good practice to throw throw the indicator back up there and check R.O.'s before you take it out of the machine. Heck it should be done a few times during the machining process anyway.) This is easy on a Savage as the case/gauge is accessible where a Remington is more difficult. I say this because when you are swamped bad things get out, but something like that is careless if it is in fact the chamber. JMHO

blvedere
06-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Recently had a barrel that would not shoot. Finally had a chamber cast made and chamber was oversize,saami specs, I would suggest that if you are having problems making a barrel shoot, that you get a chamber cast made. It can explain a lot. my2c

RC20
06-24-2016, 01:40 PM
I think it is solidly established that the chamber is oversized.

the issue at point is trust in the gun smith and his charges and attitude. .

I would have zero trust in him as he not only can't do a chamber right, he does not test or check his work.
Add into that the paying for shipping for his screw up.

He Owes the OP a new barrel and then he can have the old one back do whatever he wants with it, he pays all shipping costs as those have been incurred already and any more are above and beyond.

New barrel needs to pass inspection .

If not, then contact chamber of commerce and file a complaint and out him on the forum and the word will spread.

local41
07-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Update: I sent my barreled action back to the Smith. When I called for an update he said he shot several different kinds of ammo thru it with no issues. He keeps wanting to blame my die, or brass.
His solution was to send me a different resizing die that he said works fine. Sounded a little weird to me but I was willing to give him a chance.
When I received the barreled action back there were marks around the outside of the barrel, which looks like he had it chucked up in a lathe. It is also about 1/4 inch shorter than it was. I am willing to deal with that, but the problem is the brass is still coming out of the chamber .518 it will not go into either die. I can also see the shank end of the barrel has fresh tooling marks on it, I'm positive he recut the chamber.
At this point I am going to ask for a refund. I feel as though he screwed up and won't admit it.

RC20
07-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Yep, real scam artist. I think there is a call out section here

CPOSHOOTER
07-09-2016, 11:15 AM
I have very limited experience so take this with some doubt. Sounds like a problem I had with a 7 MM Remington Mag factory barrel back around 1964 or 5. Also terrible accuracy. Kept it for years in Navy. Finally started back on it about 6 years ago. Turned out to be an oversized chamber. Found it by procedure like HOTOLDS442. Measured fired brass and found it to be very oversized. Replaced factory barrel with Benchmark and all problems gone also sub MOA 3 shot groups.