PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Cool

Pages : [1] 2

scope eye
06-15-2016, 04:24 PM
Anyone have or tried one of these, I ordered one but have not received it yet, I figured I have spent a lot more than $35.00 on other things so we shall see. Apparently it cuts cooling time in half.

http://barrelcool.com/

Dean

PS: I am sure it would come in handy at P Dog hunt

Danna1
06-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Mined arrived about a week ago and I used it at the range....not a cure all but reduced temp a lot quicker.

RustyShackle
06-15-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm glad you posted this. Gave me a great idea. I just need to get busy and build a prototype now!

drybean
06-15-2016, 08:31 PM
I am sure that they work,but they cool only to ambient temp,
if you can wait that long
after I said that ,I will order one

Texas10
06-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Seems pretty cool...no pun intended. Smaller than a scuba tank, probably last about as long. Some guy at the range had one last summer, or something like it.

I just set my gun in the rack and shoot another gun for a while. Even less waiting.

RC20
06-15-2016, 08:40 PM
You could rig up your own larger battery powered fan.

Battery costs will be a long term annoyance , I suspect far less than hours listed.

Recharagable would be much better.

jpx2rk
06-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Is there sufficient room for the unit to pull cooler air into the chamber? One video I watched a week or two ago looked like it filled the chamber on the full side, so you would have to remove the bolt to help with air flow, if that would help any.

bsumoba
06-15-2016, 10:11 PM
You could rig up your own larger battery powered fan.
Battery costs will be a long term annoyance , I suspect far less than hours listed.
Recharagable would be much better.

A large fan blowing across the barrel will most definitely help cool the barrel, but convenience and the required power makes it challenging in many cases. Because BarrelCool doubled as a chamber flag, it can be used at every range in the US during cease fires and will fit in any range bag, rifle bag or pocket.

If you do not have a rack to place a rifle standing upright to take advantage of the "chimney effect," BarrelCool is a good way of getting the same effect with more airflow and with the rifle resting as is, on the bench or shooting station.

Rechargeables have less capacity than standard batteries so they will go out faster, but yes, you can recharge them. With (3) CR123A batteries that each have 1400mAH of capacity, we tested and documented on multiple occasions, approximately 7 hours of battery life in constant ON mode and much more than that while using it intermittently in 20-30 minute intervals. BarrelCool will come with a set of batteries and we also sell some at a very reasonable cost that you can order at the same time.

Is there sufficient room for the unit to pull cooler air into the chamber? One video I watched a week or two ago looked like it filled the chamber on the full side, so you would have to remove the bolt to help with air flow, if that would help any.

The fan is located on the top and there is sufficient space in most actions and firearms for cooler air to be drawn into BarrelCool and through the bore.

Texas10
06-16-2016, 07:09 AM
You can also buy the batteries in a rechargeable form, with recharger. Here is what I found after a brief search. https://www.amazon.com/Power2000-XP-123A-Lithium-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00IOVPLEW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1466074488&sr=8-12&keywords=cr123a+battery+charger

Even comes with a cigarette lighter adapter for your car so you can charge on the way to the range.

scope eye
06-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Well I put mine to the test today, and it worked better than I thought, so I am pleased to say the least.

Dean

scooterf79
06-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Sounds good Deano....I may end up getting one...
and besides, how cool is it to be sitting at the range with a fan blowing down the chamber cooling it off 😉👍
Scooter

RustyShackle
06-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Well I researched my 'idea' some. Turns out a few other guys have already done it. That is, using a CO2 cartridge and bleed valve/regulator to purge the bore/chamber. The CO2 would cool the bbl much more quickly than ambient air.

Hotolds442
06-17-2016, 09:57 PM
A vortex cooler connected to a scuba tank would be about perfect.

RustyShackle
06-17-2016, 11:22 PM
I was thinking a paintball tank at first, but thought about portability and thought the small cartridges(single range session) would work out pretty well. Not sure about how much pressure a scuba tank holds? or if there would be any integrity issues. (not a diver). But yeah the vortex cooler would be a similar premise.

md7989
06-17-2016, 11:29 PM
Well I researched my 'idea' some. Turns out a few other guys have already done it. That is, using a CO2 cartridge and bleed valve/regulator to purge the bore/chamber. The CO2 would cool the bbl much more quickly than ambient air.

You also run the possibility of cooling too quickly and then having condensate left in the barrel if not done properly. Just a thought to consider...

rjtfroggy
06-18-2016, 05:56 AM
Scope eye can you use regular 9volt batteries ?

scope eye
06-18-2016, 06:21 AM
No not with out jury rigging you can't.

Dean

LongRange
06-18-2016, 08:52 AM
heres how you cool a barrel quickly...wet T shirt kept in a cooler...works well for other things but we wont go into that LOL!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1-96.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1-96.jpg.html)

Robinhood
06-18-2016, 04:55 PM
.works well for other things but we wont go into that LOL

Do tell!

triehl27
06-19-2016, 03:18 AM
I'd be all for Barrel Cool, IF it had the ability to utilize a USB battery.

Most of us carry one for our phones, tablets, etc.

Having the ability to run Barrel cool off a USB battery would make it rechargable, easy battery change, and multifunctional.

Plus, with some USB batteries you'd have 100's of hours of capacity.

Do tell!