PDA

View Full Version : Good Thumb Hole Target Stock

Pages : [1] 2

RC20
06-15-2016, 12:27 PM
This is a longer term decisions, I am still working up to speed on my first project.

The shooting is all bench rest, front and rear sandbag supported. 308 Varmint and a Bull barrel and 30-06 Bull and for now (I just like 30-06, fits in with the mil surplus collection and my dads restored 1903 Sporter). I know I am not likely to compete (though possible if I can ever retire), I do want to get down into the sub 1/2 MOA and at a reasonable cost.

Range currently is 100 yds, I want to do the 300 yd range when I get to the point I am happy with results, and possible to make a special trip occasionally to a 1000 yard range.

The donner for the 30-06 was a 111 BTH, I thought I would like that style Thumbhole and I do, nice looking as well and I am partial to wood and expect the laminate should be more stable. Will see how that stock does, I do want a good one for the 12FV (and possibly shift the 30-06 barrel over to it for single load shooting)

I am not into bedding though I have a brother who is and can go that route longer term. .

So, what would be a solid but best priced Laminated Thumbhole stock that has a good slid chassis or steel insert that would support the 12FV action for this style shooting? If there is such a thing.

Pre pillared? I am not into futzing with wood (or laminates!) any more than I have to (the BTH is getting the channel worked down for the bull barrels but that's a pretty easy job).

Nor Cal Mikie
06-15-2016, 01:06 PM
If and when you get the bug to install pillars (very much recommended), look at the Richard's Micro-Fit line of stocks. Not drop in by any means but with the price and selection, one of the better deals out there. They come pretty rough at times and sometimes pretty nice so be prepared to do some work on the outside for fit and finish. Know ahead of time that there will be work needed but everything you do to it makes it "yours".
I have or have had maybe 10 or 12 but I'am no expert, just appreciate the selection and cost of a nice stock for the $$.

rjtfroggy
06-16-2016, 06:40 AM
I don't know of any with a metal bedding block pre installed, that is with laminates.
Personally for what you want to do I would stay away from a Boyd's, but give the Stocky's a look to me they seem to be a little heavier. They have a link on the sponsors page and are running a clearance sale right now some thumbhole laminates as low as $150. Usually drop in fitment.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-16-2016, 08:53 AM
And, if you "really" get into it, think about a Whidden V Block. Metal to metal mounting and actions can be swapped from one stock to another. More work to install the V Block but you end up with a solid mount and no worries about it shifting, ever.

RC20
06-16-2016, 01:29 PM
That's an interesting device and thank you all for replies, any more ideas are welcome.

Any idea why center feed does not work? My 111 is 2003-2006 or so and has it, as I single feed its not an issue I would think to just leave the guts out of the magazine though you would drop rounds in there form time to time I would think.

rjtfroggy
06-16-2016, 04:26 PM
IIRC center feed mag wells are slightly smaller 1/8th or so And less in width.
I would think an enterprising person could make it work.

Mozella
06-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Boyd's has a huge variety of stocks, quick delivery, and very good prices. For the price difference between Boys's and most other stocks, you could get your stock and buy one for your brother too with the understanding that he would epoxy bed and pillar bed both of them and still come out ahead.
One of my F-class competition guns has a Boyd's stock and the other a McMillen costing 6 times as much. I prefer the Boyd's............. by a good margin too.

FW Conch
06-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Going back to your original requirement, 1/2" at 100yds, I get that kind of accuracy from a Boyd's laminate thumb hole, and a Stocky's Laminate thumbhole. The next best step up is a B&C with a metal bedding block. It's about $100 more, but as far as action beding, it's the "bee's knees". You can spend thousands more, but you can't do any better as far as action beding is concerned. ;-))

Texas10
06-16-2016, 10:51 PM
This Thumbhole stock comes with pillars installed. I am shooting one now in a 12FV, quality is very good. http://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhole-Varmint-Stock_p_14233.html

RC20
06-17-2016, 12:04 AM
That does look interesting. Pardon my ignorance, but how does the pillar bedding part work?

Pictures anywhere or site showing the type they use?

Nor Cal Mikie
06-17-2016, 09:03 AM
The pillars fit in the stock where the action screws come up thru the forearm. They are glued in place. The action mounts on top of them. Metal to metal or in some cases action to plastic. They keep the stock from being crushed when the action screws are tightened. After the pillars are mounted, the action is bedded to the stock.

psharon97
06-17-2016, 10:52 AM
I would give Manners a hard look. Costly but will give you what you want.

RC20
06-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Its on the maybe list, I like the looks of wood, laminates full fill that though I know they are not traditional wood stocks.

Cost is a factor as well and how much to spend vs my capabilities.

Good to hear the Boyds can shoot as that was part of the 111 BTH selection (used) , I liked the setup I got as for that gun it saved the cost of a stock (and I got the acu trigger I wanted as well as the barrel nut that did not need to come off). If it shoots good enough for that gun I am good.

I have the 308 with the cheap plastic stock I want to upgrade.

Texas10
06-19-2016, 10:57 PM
That does look interesting. Pardon my ignorance, but how does the pillar bedding part work?

Pictures anywhere or site showing the type they use?

Pillars are steel tubes mounted into the stock thru which the action screws attach the action to the stock. This eliminates typical screw torque variances due to wood stock swelling or contracting due to moisture content, or splitting of stock wood along laminate lines. This model stock uses pillars that appear to be identical to Savage parts. It's a drop-in fit, the only thing I did extra was epoxy bed the action using Devcon 10110, but you don't have to do that to get good performance.

RC20
06-19-2016, 11:32 PM
Thank you, I am 99% sure that's the way I will go, seems to meet all my needs and I am not ever going to be competition grade.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-20-2016, 09:31 AM
As far as single feeding a center feed stock, Sharp Shooter Supply makes a single feed adaptor so the mag isn't needed. Makes the action a solid bottom so no chance of loosing rounds into an open hole.

Don-T
06-22-2016, 05:38 PM
One thing about Boyd's, if you're considering one, is that their wait time is now over two months since their factory redo.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-23-2016, 09:33 AM
And with any gun stock OR smithing work, take a number and wait in line. Patience IS a virtue. I place my order and try to forget about it. When it shows up, it's CHRISTMAS!!!

RC20
06-23-2016, 04:13 PM
I put in the order for the Wood Laminated from the EABCO company

Price was good, color choice ok, has the Pillars, I think it will be good for what I want.

Nice bonus free shipping

RC20
06-23-2016, 04:14 PM
And with any gun stock OR smithing work, take a number and wait in line. Patience IS a virtue. I place my order and try to forget about it. When it shows up, it's CHRISTMAS!!!

Shades of being on Alaska in the 50s and early 60s, order and forget it.