PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Model 25 screw fell out

tramblygoat
06-15-2016, 05:38 AM
Hi folks,

Just had a small problem which maybe you guys/girls could answer?

I took the stock of my newly bought Model 25 walking varminter. I wanted to adjust the trigger as per the instructions. So I backed out the trigger adjustment using the supplied tool as per the instruction booklet.

I took it to the least trigger weight and no more. The spring protrudes out slightly. It was then that I noticed a small screw with a hex head had fallen out from somewhere.

I can't say whether it was a result of the adjustment or otherwise - would seem likely although I carefully followed the directions.

The rifle operates okay in function - dry tested without ammo.

I can't see where the screw came from and it obviously served a purpose.

Any ideas? Or has anybody else had the same issue?

Regards, Mark

35Whelenshooter
06-15-2016, 06:36 AM
Post a photo of it and your action

Respectfully
Mike

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk

tramblygoat
06-15-2016, 07:30 AM
Quite right Mike, I should have done that first. I have added the screw next to the Savage trigger tool to give some size perspective. Then photos of both sides and a top view of the action showing the trigger unit. The screw is 6mm long, ( 0.236 inches, slightly less than 1/4 inch long )

Hope these show up okay.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMPvP-qbVEnKc7-H8ey0LIARvYqZhwR04WuD76pvNpzYnjqfe-uXxUkJVlr27wu2w?key=V1VVMWJ2cDQzRXhqTFZkZElpZDQ0Qn JnOFNLOHJ3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPLoO9a-JKXi5Hn8m5OKeI7is0PaW1VQvF5dMcrzwr4NBxmeKzsaYL6L0h jP91JRw?key=dWlJdWk3bHpGdS1McU43Yl8yU2lmbGxiWWUzNX RR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNaSViPjmsCSYQ-Ev2oi7J1p1HlmYMbONa8GLnhMIvvEuqhlIygQI03-pZqRKYsvA?key=MmdZUG9oenVoeXJ4Yy1DZnNUV3Y4M3FSd2JP R0dB

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOCMj4n_rvC8hl34YELyqz7jZk-ns9cfNb-VwuDKd1FWOXJ2qkC14JGBnTrlSO2QQ?key=UjktRV9iUi14Mk5 oZkhkTzBtZjRhWUQ0U0RWTlhR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPFpiejsm3-MOqmTxixZyjV37cq1kaEsYkDmQ4f6s_Yx2LnJrK2VeBl7GxfmT sXNA?key=eFZRTHMyWUt5MHJDOWRYbVhoeEFlVVBZMm16TFdB

35Whelenshooter
06-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Your screw looks to be a scope or scope base screw. I have not seen that one from the model 25. I have only seen it for scope mounts, I went and checked my 22 Hornet and could only see the scope base screws.

Did you purchase it new or is it used?

Respectfully
Mike

tramblygoat
06-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Hello Mike,

When I looked again I had the same thought as you. I unscrewed the base screws for the scope. They are very similar but actually longer. They have the same hex head and the same pitch on the thread.

I bought the rifle new but I want to avoid sending it back for something simple that hopefully I could sort in a couple of minutes. I'm beginning to think it's a rogue screw that fell inside the stock when it was getting assembled. I did a search online and didn't find anyone else who had had the same problem. I'm not a novice but would prefer to avoid taking apart the trigger group unless I was sure it came from there. Of course it is too small to be from anywhere else on the rifle. ...

Mark

35Whelenshooter
06-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Mark,

I have had my 25 a part and polished the trigger, using the factory spring and have it set at 2.5 lbs by the trigger gauge.

When I saw your screw, I couldn't figure out where it came from, I went back and looked at my 25. Came to the conclusion it is a scope/base screw, if you preform a safety check on your rifle. All that is in the trigger group is 3 pins 3 e clips big spring trigger and accu trigger shoe and spring.

Respectfully
Mike

tramblygoat
06-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Thanks Mike.

You polished the trigger as well. That sounds smooth. I thought the Accutrigger was already excellent for a cheaper rifle. It's reassuring what you said. I also had a brief look and could only see a couple of springs, the c-clips that hold the pins in place and the accu trigger shoe. I certainly looks like a scope base screw albeit shorter. I am happy with dry fire checks without ammo and I have tried all types of knock test and methods to get the trigger to accidently go off and it won't. I'll get it tested at the weekend when I zero in the scope.

Regards, Mark

35Whelenshooter
06-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Mark,

Very good. Let me know what you find out.

Respectfully
Mike

tramblygoat
06-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Mike,

Just tested the rifle loaded. In a safe direction, no bump nor slam fire would get it to fire. Then zeroed in to give a zero for 200 yds. 0.6 inch high at 100 yds.

That should give me a -0.2 inch at 50 yds. 0.6 inch over at 100 and 150 yds and on zero for 200yds and then a 1.6 inch under at 250 yds. I reckon that's not a bad spread without having to worry about holdover/under.

I guess that screw was just one that jumped in for the ride :bolt:

Now just need to get a cleaning rod and other small diameter pieces for .204 calibre after finding that my Site-Lite laser zero was too big to fit the barrel. On target after 4 shots is okay by me.

I had a couple of rounds that didn't want to feed well into the chamber but otherwise I'm pleased.

Thanks again for your interest and support

Mark

35Whelenshooter
06-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Sure thing, I am happy that I could help you out.

Respectfully
Mike