PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Break-In

Pages : 1 [2]

Philf
06-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Barrel Break in: Clean it first!
With new barrels I clean them out first because of the left over metal shavings still in the bore.
You would think they are clean, but they are not.
Mine have been that way

shagerott
06-15-2016, 05:40 PM
+1, all have had some fine metal or other debris and black crud came out. Some more than others.

RC20
06-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Barrel Break in: Clean it first!
With new barrels I clean them out first because of the left over metal shavings still in the bore.
You would think they are clean, but they are not.
Mine have been that way

Agreed fully, I have only had one new barrel but it got cleaned thoroughly.

FW Conch
06-16-2016, 08:32 PM
I am amazed at how many people know exactly what goes on at the moment of ignition in a rifle combustion chamber! ;-))

darkker
06-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Hunters only may clean with steel rods. How many of use do?

Again I think its overblown. Hard steel is hard enough to cut with a file or blade designed to do so, smooth steel rod (and far more generally aluminum) hmmm.

I won't argue that many things are over-blown. Most of "my time" has had coated cleaning rods be vogue, they embed with crap. And just as the point of this thread reminds us, it seems also vogue to "clean constantly, or else". So will a bit of cleaning cause the sun to never rise? Of course not, but constant cleaning, where you are sawing on the lands isn't helping the cause.

RC20
06-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Agreed, there is a balance, Just what it is? Impossible because no one has done any science on it.