PDA

View Full Version : 116 Win mag to RUM conversion?

Waceyf
06-12-2016, 10:59 PM
I recently purchased a 116 Alaskan in 338 win mag got a heck of a deal on it so couldn't pass it up. I'd like to build a RUM on it, always wanted to do a 6.5 RUM but may just do a 7 RUM for now and save the brass to neck down to 6.5 later. Does anyone know if the 338 WM action will work for that? If so will it also work as a repeater? It's NIB 116 Alaskan blind mag. It hasn't arrived yet for any measurements.

Hotolds442
06-13-2016, 12:06 AM
It'll probably be ok for slinging anything but long range bullets due to the magazine length restrictions.

Zero333
06-13-2016, 08:37 AM
No good.

Large shank action is what you want. And the magazine on the 338winmag is 3.5" while the 7rum needs a 3,7"+ magazine.

Don't even bother because you will regret. If you were thinking of a pre-fit bbl, I don't know if they even chamber RUM's for small shank receivers.

You want a fast 6.5mm or 7mm for a small shank savage ??? your best bet is the 264winmag. Simple and easy. Or Wildcat the 300winmag down to 6.5mm since it has 10gr more powder capacity over the 264winmag.

6.5mm Rem mag has less powder capacity than the 264winmag.

6.5mm-300 Weatherby might be worth a shot but it might not work good in a 3.5" magazine. Same goes for the 7-STW.

You can always get a aftermarket chassis which will have a bottom metal for aics long action magazines that measure 3.7xx". And all that rifle will be good for is target work only.

yobuck
06-13-2016, 10:02 AM
We tend to look at velocity gains rather than actual yardage gains when comparing cartridges.
As in how much further a bullet of equal size and weight will travel with 300 additional fps.
We can cause them to travel pretty much as far as we like with sight adjustments.
But fired at the same time from the same table both will be on the ground within an instant of each other.
In 1960 the 6.5x 300 Weatherby was the most popular long range hunting cartridge on the planet.
The reason was there was only one good long range bullet on the planet also and it happened to be a 6.5.
Today with all the good bullets in other calibers the 6.5 is not a popular choice among serious long range hunters.
Id personaly be enjoying that gun for what it is.
And for long range buy another in one of the many excellent choices available including 6.5.

Waceyf
06-13-2016, 02:51 PM
I've got other 6.5's, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47, 6.5 WSM & 6.5x284 soon. I like that caliber, I also enjoy working with wildcat cartridges. I'm not interested in building the gun to be "practical" I'm building it because I want to. Maybe it won't work with this action but that doesn't change my desire to want to play with the cartridge down the road. In regards to the small shank I thought it was a large shank action or I wouldn't have even considered it and thank you for pointing that out. It won't be a pre-fit either,, my gunsmith builds from Krieger and benchmark blanks for me...