PDA

View Full Version : weight difference

druid w/stick
06-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Two barrels, same caliber, profile and length. One small shank, the other large. What would weight difference be?
Thanks
Greg

foxx
06-12-2016, 08:51 PM
I am guessing they (the finished rifle) would be nearly the same because the overall outside dimensions are the same. Large shank barrels have a larger shank, but the action is opened up to accept the larger shank.

The overall amount of material is the same, what you gain in barrel shank size you give up in the action's internal size. I have never actually weighed them, though.

druid w/stick
06-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Thanks Foxx, I wouldn't think it would be much. I'm putting a coyote rifle together in 22-250, so just trying to watch the weight.
Greg

foxx
06-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Unless you already have a large shank action, I would suggest small shank. Large is just too unusual and harder to trade/buy for. Certainly has nothing to offer the 22-250

druid w/stick
06-12-2016, 11:51 PM
I do have a large shank SS action. Bought it for a 300wsm build from a member here and then as things go, another member had a special order factory rifle from cabelas for sale. It was pretty close to what I wanted. It was also cheaper.
Greg