PDA

View Full Version : Barrel shanks and hole spacings

JClark
06-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Hi all,

New to the group.

I was considering buying a new Savage 10 to swap small shank barrels and old style nuts on. When I went to the store yesterday, I see the new ones have a smooth barrel nut, and the guys at the store didn't know anything about it. I couldn't tell which barrel the FP-SR had. I saw the Axis still has the familiar barrel nut.

Are these still small shank (223, 308) for all the models? Mainly interested in FP-SR or Hog Hunter for the threaded barrel.

I have a 308 I bought new about 2010 (no threaded barrel). My buddy's 24" was so accurate, I bought the other one at the store. It was a law enforcement model in 308 with 20" barrel. Model FP something. Still in safe unfired. I am away from home so I can't take a look at it. I remember it has a heavy barrel, Accu-Trigger, and I think a blind magazine.. I was going to leave this one as it came from the factory, but now considering using it to swap barrels, if it is a small shank.

Can anyone say for sure if it would be a small shank?

If I want to change from 308 to 223/300BLK, besides the bolt, do I also change out the magazine follower? Any thing else?

Also, if I buy the 223, can it be easily converted to 308? I am confused by reading the 308 has 4.4" bolt spacing and the 223 has 4.275" Gussing the 4.275 is too short for the 308 magazine?

Any reason why I shouldn't use the one I already have for barrel swaps?

Thanks for your input.

JoeC

Robinhood
06-12-2016, 02:47 PM
The new "smooth" barrel nut is tricky to get off as in different wrench or cutting it off, many people replace it with the old style.

It is a small shank.

I would try the 223 follower before I changed it.

To change the rifle from 223 to a 308 you will need a different mag box and follower a different, bolt head, barrel and possible modify or replace the front baffle.

The 4.4 screw spacing and the 4.27 screw spacing is connected to year manufactured and not caliber.

RC20
06-12-2016, 05:22 PM
A good option is to buy a Cabella Only others) Savage 12FV. That comes with the old style nut and a good heavy what Savage calls Varmint contour and I call HB (vs Bull) barrel (keep or sell). Various times on sale 50 and 100 off and or Savage Rebates get the cost down to 390 range or less.

note: Model 10T has the smooth nut.

For my project it took some looking to get a used one with a segmented barrel nut (and the Acu trigger). Stock is good for now as well.

Some of the good deal can get you the chassis and take it from there. I believer this is a pin hole on the bottom of the nut to index in. No good reviews on tools for it.

If you cut one off you want to be pretty careful and or used to doing that type of work as damage to the barrel threads negates selling it (or big price drop)
Pipe wrench might be the best way, have not tried it (hope not to!)

Keep in mind that if you distort the nut it can/will bind so its not a slam dunk.

I would want a segmented nut (or smooth) on hand to cross check depth if cut with thickness of the nut.

I do that sort of thing and was not keen to try it!

I suspect the smooth nut is a looks thing (also may be Savage attempt to keep us from taking barrel off!)

Zero333
06-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Your 308 is a small shank.

You'll need a 223 bolt head, 223 go-no-go-gauges, but I'm not sure what it would take to redo the blind mag from 308 to 223, besides a follower. If it was a detachable magazine a simple swap to a 223 mag would do it.

Pipe wrench or any other method will work for the smooth barrel nut. I have a barrel nut wrench for the smooth nut but since I replace them with the castellated barrel nuts I just weld a couple of pieces of metal on it to help the pipe wrench grip better. So I don't know how well the barrel nut wrench for smooth nuts works cause I haven't used it yet.

Action screw hole spacing is only relevant when switching stocks. If yours measures 4.4" you'll obviously need a stock with 4.4" spacing. Like fella above me already stated, it has nothing to do with the chambering of the rifle.

Hotolds442
06-13-2016, 11:36 AM
You'll also need a 223 extractor.

JClark
06-14-2016, 12:22 AM
You'll also need a 223 extractor.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm glad you mentioned Cabela's 12FV. The they had a sale on for $349 and Savage has a $100 rebate. I got the last one they had.
It is a 204 with a blind magazine. That is some front heavy barrel. I'm not fond of the top bolt release, but I sure do like the trigger.

I hadn't thought of the extractor, thank you.

Can this be easily changed to a hinged floorplate? The couple of Savaged I handled at the store with removable mags, seemed to not snap in positively without close attention.

What action vice would you guys recommend? Or to stay from?

Thanks,
Joe

DrThunder88
06-14-2016, 04:39 AM
I use a Wheeler #2 action wrench. Smooth nuts get a pipe wrench and replaced it with a classic nut.

Savage has a few magazine designs. Plastic floorplate mags are a bit fidgety. I don't know from personal experience if the metal floorplate design is more reliable, but it is more desirable at least.

Zero333
06-14-2016, 10:06 AM
I think the 204's extractor is the same as the 223's since both heads measure the same.