View Full Version : New Barrel and Barrel Nut Problem

Pages : 1 [2]

drybean
06-14-2016, 08:16 PM
You may try fine valve lapping compound
should me available at any good auto parts store

travistodd1
06-14-2016, 08:37 PM
I'm kind of back to the same problem. The nut fits great now but I went to slide the new recoil lug on and it was a no go.... Black to the Emory cloth...

geargrinder
06-14-2016, 09:02 PM
It's a common situation with aftermarket barrels. The external threads are cut correctly but the peaks are left with a sharp point.

Internal threads (action and nut) with have threads that are cut with a tool with a radius on the end.

What you are experiencing is the conflict between the radiused valley of the internal thread and the sharp peak of the external threads.

Your emery cloth is knocking down the peak. As would a light tough with a file as already mentioned.

Sounds like you just about have it. Hope it's a shooter.

Robinhood
06-14-2016, 09:29 PM
I agree GG. Once the recoil lug goes on its good to go.

travistodd1
06-14-2016, 09:43 PM
It's on. Now off to paint the stock... Did the inlet work wast night. This thing better shoot...

RC20
06-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Good deal, all done in a considered manner, got the data, confirmed what you had and the work done with the least invasive method (and most correct available)

Problem with a file is its not circular cutting, you flat cut and turn it into a series of angles, and you will cut more in one area than another. Not the best tool to use in this case (IMNSHO)

travistodd1
06-15-2016, 12:14 PM
I'm kind of anal retentive when I put something together. I'd rather take time and do it right then make a mess of something. I think this was the first time I'm combine all new parts on a barrel assembly.