PDA

View Full Version : First Bolt Build Savage 10 .243 to 7mm08

wellbilldancesays
06-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Hello, been reading this board for awhile and decided to do my first bolt action build. I've gotten a lot info from this site over the years so figured I would contribute.

First I ordered a Savage 10 .243 off GB. Paid a little more than I wanted at $265 but maybe I can recoup some costs by selling the bits I don't need.
Here is a link to it on GB, It's pretty rough.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/562760129

Next is the barrel ordered a X-Caliber from Apache in 7mm08 at 20" 1/9 twist.

For the stock I ordered is a H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 Savage 10FP 12 Target Varmint TacticalThey had a sale at Stocky Stock so couldn't pass it up for $329 but the color I want is backordered but no biggie.

Optic Wise I have Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50MM , an EGW rail and some Seekins Precision Rings.

A few other things I'm still considering and as I get everything and put it together I'll update and add pics.

Rosco
06-08-2016, 11:42 PM
Looks like a great start and an awesome cartridge!

Robinhood
06-09-2016, 12:30 AM
I agree with Roscoe. Great hunting and steel banging round.

wellbilldancesays
06-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies, the rifle has shipped.

In the meantime mulling over things like should I get the action timed and trued? What trigger?

Robinhood
06-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Shoot the heck out of it and when you are ready contact SSS to see if you casn get on the next run list. Seen and used a lot of triggers, my favorite for trigger pull and safety is the SSS competition. The timney works great also with the Rifle Basics Sav I running 3rd. Honorable mention is the Sav II, Great trigger, pain to get safe and light.

If at some time you outgrow your stock get a good one that will enhance your shooting.

wellbilldancesays
06-20-2016, 08:48 PM
So the rifle is in California 10 day jail until Friday but I did get a EGW Recoil lug ordered and a SS nut, still thinking over the trigger. The stock accutrigger on it felt great at 2.10 but I'll probably get a timney.

BTW why was my thread moved? It's not considered a build?

Robinhood
06-20-2016, 08:55 PM
I suggest the Sharp Shooter Supply comp trigger. If you don't like it, it should be an easy sell.

Zero333
06-22-2016, 11:44 PM
My fav triggers are the Savage non-accutriggers. After a little tuning (sanding) and polishing they are my Favorite. Crisper than the Timney's.

If this is a hunting rifle then I must admit a 20" barrel 7mm08 is a pleasure to carry and hits with authority.

140gr Hunt VLD over Varget is what I use for 7mm08. Not much choice when it comes to brass but at least Lapua is always available and can't complain about Lapua brass quality.

RC20
06-23-2016, 01:44 PM
I would consider sticking with the Acu Trigge, try it first. If its a hunting trigger you can change the rear spring and get the varmint (down to 1.5) $ 7 to 10 depending on who you buy it form.

Of all the triggers I have either owned or shot the acu trigger suits me the best. Includes the Timny. They are very good, just not worth the money over what the acu does.

when I went after my doner one of the required items was the acu trigger so I did not have to buy an aftermarket, saved $100.

wellbilldancesays
06-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Yeah I'm going to at first stick with the accutrigger for now cause it feels really good the way it is.