PDA

View Full Version : stock choice/avail?

jime444
06-08-2016, 10:21 AM
New to forum, not new to Savages. Got a couple of 12fv's in .223/.308 want to restock them. Got a great price, new. Both shoot sub-moa's; the .223 is slightly better than that with decent handloads, match bullets. Like to shoot club f-class/mid-range (600 yards max) prone, maybe some varmints from time to time.

Have pillar and glass bedded multiple rifles, so semi-finished stocks, also be an option.

What's your take on a reasonably priced option for the 12fv's?. Laminate or plastic/composite. Really not wanting to spend $500 on a stock, though (you know, H&S or McMillan). How about Boyd's target stock?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

mrvideostore
06-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Hi Jim, I'm like you. I picked up 3 of the FV's from Cabela's .223, and 2 of the .308. I ended up ordering a XLR Chassis that I use to swap the guns into. So far worked out great, I figured 3 different calibers shared by one Chassis 3rd gun will be converting the latest .308 into a 6.5 Creedmoor. Spend a little more on the Chassis but figured if i divided the cost among the 3 it was only like $250 per gun which is cheap and takes me like 5 mins or less to change out rifles depending what i feel like taking to the range that day. By the way mine is the Element Chassis.

Texas10
06-08-2016, 12:16 PM
A lot of guys on this forum swear by Boyds stocks. But for my 12FV, I preferred a similar priced laminate that had quality pillars installed from the factory, so I went with EA Brown instead and bedded with Devcon 10110. http://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhole-Varmint-Stock-by-Revolution_p_14233.html

Boyds is rumored to be having a half price sale now, since you don't mind pillaring your own, they might be the best deal around.

Vanilla Gorilla
06-19-2016, 02:05 AM
I converted a model 11 hog hunter into a 6.5 creedmoor and put a bell and carlson stock on it. Very affordable and ended up with excellent accuracy. I took it a step further though and fully bedded the action and recoil lug.