PDA

View Full Version : 300 wsm bolt and feeding issues

acj7382
06-07-2016, 06:45 PM
I've got an older model 16 without the accutrigger. Blind box magazine. I can't even find the rifle on line. I took to gun smith because it would pull spent cartridge back but not extract. He tightened a nut that hold the bolt handle on and it worked for part of a range trip. It's a 300 wsm in ss and now when I set my brass shoulders back .002 doing full length resizing the bolt is super hard to close on a brass case only or,loaded with projectile. Bolt is not one with pin and bearing. Has brass piece on side of bolt and a groove in the bolt that lets a small piece come from the receiver when bolt is in full open position. Number one I'd like to know what kind of gun it is. Was told a weather warrior but they all have magazines and accutrigger except Stevens which my barrel says savage. Is my head space off for the bolt to be so tight. Was also wondering if I could buy a ne bolt and where. Back to the smith again I suppose but tightening the screw in back of the bolt isn't going to fix either issue.

wbm
06-07-2016, 09:19 PM
You can run the serial number on the savage arms web site and see if you get information on the rifle...if it is an older model you may not. You do have a controlled round feed bolt. Is it a large shank or a small shank?
http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...el-Shank-Sizes (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes)

If your full length resizing die is returning your brass to near factory specifications your bolt should close easily.

Robinhood
06-07-2016, 11:34 PM
You might try some new brass. Measure the base of the case the part above the rim. Compare that to new WSM brass. I think new is like .555-.557. Most dies wont size the bulge from multiple firings. It also sounds like you mean it will extract but not eject. Like mentioned above the old CR feed had a standing ejector not a spring loaded pin in the face pf the bolt head.

Hotolds442
06-07-2016, 11:44 PM
You have a Savage 16 Weather Warrior that was built before the accutrigger was developed, somewhere in the late 80's-early 90's. You won't find it by looking at Savage's website, the model lives on but the configuration you have has long ago been upgraded. It's also a stagger feed action and has controlled round feeding. If you open the bolt and the spent case is removed, it's extracting just fine. The problem you're having is with ejection.

acj7382
06-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Yes, It is pulling case back. Just won't eject it. The Norma brass is only once fired. I'm wondering if for the feeding issues if I need to have a Smith use a go No go guage on it. I've cleaned until there can no way be any crud in it but I can find no results that work.

twarren
06-08-2016, 08:58 AM
There was a thread on here a little while back about not ejecting properly.
A prominent Savage gunsmith said to grind a little off the bottom of the
slot in the ejector pin. I was having the same problem with ejecting and
it worked for me. You could look up the thread it explains it very well.

Robinhood
06-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Yes, It is pulling case back. Extraction fine.

Just won't eject it. Ejection issue.

The Norma brass is only once fired. That means your brass is probably good.

I'm wondering if for the feeding issues if I need to have a Smith use a go No go guage on it. What? Now we have a feeding issue?

I've cleaned until there can no way be any crud in it but I can find no results that work. Was this to fix the ejection issue or the feeding issue?

Can you describe your feeding issue?

acj7382
06-11-2016, 06:27 AM
Original post shows I'm having a feeding issue. Or I was. This rifle is gone now. Too many issues and evidently not worth what I paid for it. Seems old model 16 not worth much and not worth repairs. Live and learn. I sold it. Thanks for all the info.