PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Vartarg Dies

possum1
07-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Is anyone using these dies for 20 Vartarg with good result's ? I've read the post about over working the neck, just wondering if they do alright. Thank's

RWO
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
I bought a set, but found that the sizer overworked the brass necks. And since I have a tight necked rifle, I needed to be able to control the neck tension and size. I sent the sizer die to http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/892435.htm
and had it converted to use Redding bushings. The body/ shoulder dimensions of the die are right for my Shilen chambered barrel, so my basic problem was solved.

The Hornady bullet seater is a little sloppy for my taste, so I bought a Wilson hand seater die. Runout on loaded ammo runs .0015" or less most of the time. IMHO the biggest problem with this cartridge is the lousy quality of Rem 221 FB brass. The heads are soft so primers get loose quickly and the weight of cases can be ± 3gr. I've toyed with the idea of making brass from military 223 brass but have not done so yet.

RWO

possum1
07-20-2010, 08:33 PM
I posted over on saubier.com and I've got all confused ??? I've got to try this caliber for sure, It's got me thinking ::) just like I did when I first started hand loading ;D Seem's like it's going to be a challenge. If it turn's out like the .223 did in Savage, accuraccy and brass will be a breeze. Still trying to grasp tyhe idea of bushing's, dumb old country boy :o