PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: I need lots of help on my 99E Mad Dog

Fjold
07-19-2010, 10:42 PM
From reading 22 pages of posts here, I figured out that I have a mix master 99e. Currently it has the birch pistol grip stock with the plastic buttplate, impressed checkering, etc and the forearm is a muddy brown that doesn't match the butt. I can't make out the date code on the lever boss, even using a 10X lighted magnifying glass and my reading glasses.

I want to replace the screws for the forearm and get a metal buttplate for it, where's a good source for parts? Numrich?

I'd like to get it looking good so I was going to restock it but wanted to make sure that what I order will fit it correctly.

Here's the gun:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/DSC01065.jpg

Here's the forearm:
This looks short to me. Are all the forearm bosses in the same location? I'd like to get a schnabel forearm but this also looks like it has a lightweight barrel, is this an issue with restocking?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/DSC01066.jpg

Fjold
07-20-2010, 08:14 PM
No love?

bushrat
07-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Your rifle looks like most of the 99e's that I seen. You can order wood but might be stuck with model e wood. I think the plastic but plate is standard I doubt another model will fit. You can order custom wood from Boyds rifle stocks or Richards Micro-fit and maybe get different styles. You could make a metal butt plate if you take your time and go slow. If you can find someone with a 60s stock, not a featherweight, try changing the wood and see how it fits. You can try the same thing with older EG wood, you don't have much to lose.

Fjold
07-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks, On the fore arm, will all the wood shapes fit as long as I get it for the 22" lightweight barrel?

Eric in NC
07-22-2010, 08:39 PM
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/

Far from "drop in" fit but they do have dimensioned drawings and you can call and get help etc.

Doesn't take me long to make one of their stocks fit a 99 (an Ithaca Flues is another story!) and the amount of time finishing it is up to you (sand and poly or do an oil finish, etc.).

And no - not all forearm screws are in the same place (two different locations for solid frames and two different ones for takedowns if I recall).

Fjold
07-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks Eric, I'm assuming that they can spec me the correct forearm if I give them the measurement from the center of the threaded boss and the front of the action.

I'll probably buy a new stock set and fit it myself. Nothing could go wrong with that! ;D

Eric in NC
07-24-2010, 08:56 AM
They have the dimensions for the various configs (barrel profile and distance from boss to front of action) on the page, but they have always been helpful when I called (another husband and wife shop).

Can also make you a laminated stock for it if you want or fancy walnut etc.

Don't know who makes a metal plate - should be able to fit a "generic" matal plate from brownells if you are doing a new stock. If I was doing a new stock (not too worried about "orginal" appearance since it is a new stock) I would look at the thin solid red pads like Galazan offers (midway, brownells have them).

Fjold
07-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks again Eric. I'm going to try to strip, stain and refinish that old buttstock since it looks like someone already did it once.

Eric in NC
07-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Well just be sure not to sand it...

If you are fine with the type of stock it is (don't want the old-style "long" forearm) and ok with pressed checkering, then e-gunparts will probably set you up just fine for a new one.

langenc
08-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Im sure glad mine dont have the butt ugly pressed 'checkering'.

Jim K
08-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Relative to finding replacement screws and possibilty a metal butt plate, you might also try Jack First, Inc. I have catalogs from both Numrich and Jack First and they show the parts, but my catalogs are old so not sure the parts are still available. The last time I tried to run down parts for some of my guns on their Internet site they showed the parts I needed as "Sold Out".

Jim K

Fjold
08-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks again guys.