PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Help date my 219

Casehardin
07-19-2010, 04:10 PM
I just picked up a new to me 219 in 30/30. Chicopee Falls address, no serial number. Under the forearm is stamped what looks to be "SI". Can anyone give me a date of manufacture from that?

buyobuyo
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Look on the right side of the receiver. There should be a number and letter in a circle/oval. This is the manufacture date code. The number corresponds to the month and the number is the year. Use this link (http://www.cylindersmith.com/savage24/datecode.html) to figure out the letter to year conversion.

Casehardin
07-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the link but I can't find a circle or oval inside or outside of the frame. There is a small mark resembling an arrowhead on the lower left outside of the frame. There is an SI inside the frame, on the barrel and on the stock which I assume are assembly marks. There is an "A" inside the frame but not within a circle or oval. Were any 219s made before 1949 and the date markings?

Mad Dog
07-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Thats wierd, usually all the Chicopee 219's were serialed and the Utica made 219's were not.

What I'm thinking happened is that you've got a Utica receiver and someone put a Chicopee barrel on it. The barrels are interchangeable so this is fairly common.

I myself got a 28 ga 220 with a Utica receiver and the barrel was Chicopee, couldn't pass on the 28 ga barrel though.

diesel
09-21-2010, 01:59 PM
my dad was using a 219 30-30 during the war years, '41 and later, don't know when he bought it, mabey late thirites. I received it after he died in '78, it was very loose when locked up, not knowing it could be tightened up, I foolshly traded it away on what, I can't even rember now. ah. hind sight, you know.