PDA

View Full Version : Older 12 single vs new PTA

Randyc
06-02-2016, 04:28 PM
I have an older 95-2002 12 single shot action. PTG bolt lug, SSS comp trigger on the way, Bison barrel and MDT LSS chassis.
Looking to increase accuracy , would I benefit from going to one of the new target action in RBLP ?
i am looking for opinions, everyone has one open to all, and thanks for any and all help and input.

Randyc
06-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Or can I gain as much from truing the action and barrel nut I already have?

Robinhood
06-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Who is the manufacturer of the barrel? do you have an aftermarket recoil lug?

Randyc
06-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Ok Robinhood,
the barrel is machined by Bison gun works, I have a .375 machined recoil lug. I still pull a factory trigger and get 1minute groups pretty consistently . I am new to long range and I have hit targets out to 1100 yards. I am pretty satisified with my model 12 single shot. On the other hand I have a .284 barrel ordered and really like the looks and idea of the RBLP PTA. But I can live with what I have if the PTA will be no better than the 12 with some work done.

Robinhood
06-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Is your action a large shank? Bison cuts chambers if I understand that business. The barrels are probably made by Green Mountain. Who chambered the blank for your 284? What you have with a quality barrel, nut and recoil lug you should do everything you need to do. If you had time for someone to true the action face that would be grand.

Randyc
06-02-2016, 11:28 PM
My action is standard or small shank,
Bison will be chamfering it when it gets to him, still couple weeks out.
I am looking for a time and true from SSS, but don't like what I hear on schedule and wait time.
I have a friend that builds Harley's and owns a machine shop. Not sure he will fool with a small job like an action.
I will be playing with action screw torque and micro tuning my load recipe.
Right now I am shooting a Bison 7mm08 barrel and it seems to be very consistent . The variance could be my old eyes or some technique I need to work on. Still may lan a long time build and do the PTA and send it to FRED knowing it will be gone a while. Are all the PTA large shank?

Robinhood
06-02-2016, 11:51 PM
If you are like me holding 1 moa at 1000 is good enough. I recommend Fred's work. The CS details may be a deal breaker for some, I get that. I have tried extremely hard to duplicate the smoothness of SSS work and have come close but the smoothness of Fred's bolt lift work is unrivalled while maintaining respectable lock time. As for truing there are two different camps, I sleep in the one that believes concentricity, axial alignment and perpendicularity with the bolt raceway is king. I will let wiser men than me prove which is superior. Have fun and learn some tricks from some of the active competitors around the forum.

Randyc
06-03-2016, 12:17 AM
I have done all of the work on this rifle myself, bought piece by piece and have it together, I still go back and find things to,tweak, been working on bolt lift and trigger pull lately, have a good resetting trigger at 1.5lb pull and is fairly clean for a savage factory. I will keep learning and doing what I can , with hopes it just gets better.

Thank you you for all the info.

rjtfroggy
06-03-2016, 06:29 AM
Randyc, I have both the model 12 single shot and the PTA and aside from the trigger pull weight there is no difference (too my eye) when it comes to accuracy. That is where load work up comes into play.
The model 12 is considerably stiffer and action work will definitely help but not needed if you can live with the hard bolt lift and the heavier trigger pull, ie 1.5 lbs. versus 8 oz..
As for action size the model 12 should be a small shank and the PTA's are large shank.
Accuracy comes down to the barrel and the care in which it is chambered and how much time you want to spend on load development and then of coarse there is the time spent behind the trigger.
Old saying PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Randyc
06-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Thanks all,for the information, I have been away , at my property where there is no web service, yeah, it's great there. I will keep working on whatever I can to get where I want to be. I think when I get the SSS trigger installed and see what difference that makes , I will go back to load development and see if I can squeeze some more out of it. I did make some loads 1/10 grain lower and tried them, still will group close to 1moa. But not always in same place, now I have to see is it me, my scope eye or the load......learning is always fun.